Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topps 2005 Draft Picks prospects Tom Brady Rare 1/1 #45 card.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topps 2005 Draft Picks prospects Tom Brady Rare 1/1 #45 card.

Has anyone heard of these cards. I have this one of Tom Brady and it is totally different than the regular #45 card. It is my sons and we cannot find any info or value. Help would be nice. Should I get is graded and by which company?
    I added more photos and I talked with Topps they are getting back to me.
    If you look at the original card from the topps series number 45 Tom Brady it is a totally different colored background.
    I have not taken card out of the plastic case. I do not know if my son got it from a pack or from a dealer. He was very young at the time. 8 years old I believe.

Just received an email today from Topps Customer service 12/11/13. They replied back from the photos researched it and said it is a very good card and that I should get it graded. now I need help deciding who is the best grading service. I appreciate all your help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dimitri; 12-11-2013, 09:10 PM. Reason: Updated news.

Yes, I don't know exactly when Topps started this but every year, Topps will produce rookie draft class cards of that particular year. It will have it's own unique design and is a complete seperate set from the other cards produced. Think of it as a rookie introduction card. Recently, Topps has utilized the actual rookie premier photos and named these cards accordingly. If, and that's a big if! You're able to obtain one, they are a very hot commodity on the secondary market. This card in particular, comes from the '05 Topps Rookie Premiere set. And is not part of the set mentioned above. The hot card in general would be the Rodgers rookie card. Please note that there is a Chrome set as well. A complete set 1-170 is currently selling for $36.99, that's not to say the Brady 1/1 does not carry a premium, it's the exact opposite. If you clearly look at your 1/1 and the base Brady. Yours has a die cut corners on the right side only and the corners have been enhanced with a floral type mural design. As I mentioned, the Topps base card from this set don't seem to be outwardly expensive, this does not hold true for your Brady 1/1. It truly is a rare and very precious find. Akin to finding a rare diamond.

The rarest card I've seen was a complete set of 50 2012 RP autos. Asking price? $1,500.00! As for your card? First of all, it's of a rookie no name, namely Tom Brady. Pick 199 overall. Today, he has appeared in the Super Bowl 5 times and one 3 rings. If I'm correct, only Bradshaw and Starr are in this legendary category. Please note! It's also a 1/1! You will never ever find a price/cost on any 1/1. Why? Because there are no others out there to base a cost adjustment on.

Now with that said. You can go on eBay and view other Brady 1/1's. Even this will not be as helpful. I've been shopping for a P. Manning and a Brady card for awhile, as for Brady? I've seen a 1/1 at $75,000.00 buy it now/best offer, to $5,000 buy it now. That's a $70,000.00 difference! Whew!

If you're a Tom Brady fan? I'd keep it. If not? Sell, sell, sell! Now the big problem. What's it worth? Best case scenario? Go high, you can always sell low. Start with a somewhat high number with a best offer. And see if anyone bites. Before you go any further, contact Schwood. He collects Patriots cards exclusively. He might know more about it and be able to give you a better insight! I'll PM him right now for you. Knowing him, he will be able to answer your concerns. He is a fantastic person to have as a forum member, and one of the most giving and truly down to earth human beings I've ever known. A great asset to CCW!

Toshi
    Last edited by hayn; 12-04-2013, 10:33 AM.
    I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Comment

I just left Schwood a PM to come over to your thread and see if he can give his input in regards to your 1/1.

Toshi
      I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

Comment

That card is kinda sketchy to me. Can't say I've ever seen a 1/1 come out of a Topps product that wasn't either a printing plate, or a superfractor of some sort. I don't ever recall Topps just putting a 1/1 on a base card with a random die-cut design.

Did you pull it from a pack? If so, then I'm stumped. But if you got it some way outside of pulling it yourself, I'd tend to believe it's just a random base card someone tried to turn into a 1/1.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
        Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
        Johnson/Mears/
        Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

If I may reiterate:

Jsab4807 comments in regard to your card can also be true. Now that I've read jsab4807 comments, to be 100% accurate on the authenticity of your card I would take the time out and with very little funds, send it in to a reputable authentication grading service. The two that comes to mind is PSA/DNA or Beckett. They can tell you if your card is such, and if it's authentic? Have them grade it as well. It can only raise the value of your card.

The question that jsab4807 asked is crucial. Did this card come out of the pack? Or was it a secondary market purchase?

Comment

Not sure I am going to be much help on this at all.

First thing is I might agree with jsab. It looks like it might be a little shady. First off the corners are done differently. One side has just the curved corners and the other side has the fancy design on it.

Second off, the design seems to be a cutout on the card. And they cut off both Brady's name and also the Topps logo on the back. I can't image Topps would want a card to look like that.

Third, I was not able to find anything in regards to even any other cards of this set that may have been 1/1 of this type. I would figure they would have made some others of players similar to Brady out of that design.

Now, a few things that might be of interest...

Where did you get this card? Did you pack pull it? If so, then it's legitimacy might be upheld. If you found it in a box at a show, I would say that it is questionable.

Is the card abnormally thick? That might help and figure out if the card is legit as well. Sometimes with that kind of design, the cards might be made on a thicker stock to keep the integrity of the edges and such.

Honestly, I can't say for sure. There are some things that are definitely interesting about the card, but also some things that bring up questions on it's validity.

I might contact Topps about it to find out. I would hope they would know.

With all of this said, if it is legit, it should bring in some pretty nice coin, if not, it certainly won't. I personally don't do a lot with 1/1 cards. I have a few in my collection. But I always look to find oddball types of cards. If you found it to be a modified card not from Topps, I might have interest in it just for kind of oddball collectibility. I mean, I have made some neat jersey/patch/auto cards out of base cards, but they are obviously not real. And would never want them on the open market. I just thought it was kind of cool to do.

Sorry I could not be more direct with an answer. I just don't know.

Best bet would be to call Topps and ask them I think.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
            Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
            Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
            MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
            NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
            NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
            NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
            I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

Something I just noticed:

The right side has a die cut with the design enhancements. The left side is also die cut in a rounded corner fashion. The back of the card has the design enhancement printed over the Topps logo and Brady's first name Tom. This a very sloppy product for a 1/1. Most if not all card companies will also indicate on the back of the card that is something in the line of; "Congradulations, you have received a 1/1 authentic card from Topps". I know Panini, Press Pass, Leaf, and Upper Deck will do this. Topps has been very consistent with introducing and congradulating the owner of the card.

Again, this is truly (On my part, and I can only speak for mysel) second guessing at best. Have the pros look into it.

Toshi

Comment

Hi I added more photos to the original post. My son was around 8 or 9 when he got the card so I do not know how he got it.
                I contacted Topps and sent an email. They are looking into it.

Comment

Originally posted by schwood View Post
                  Not sure I am going to be much help on this at all.

First thing is I might agree with jsab. It looks like it might be a little shady. First off the corners are done differently. One side has just the curved corners and the other side has the fancy design on it.

Second off, the design seems to be a cutout on the card. And they cut off both Brady's name and also the Topps logo on the back. I can't image Topps would want a card to look like that.

Third, I was not able to find anything in regards to even any other cards of this set that may have been 1/1 of this type. I would figure they would have made some others of players similar to Brady out of that design.

Now, a few things that might be of interest...

Where did you get this card? Did you pack pull it? If so, then it's legitimacy might be upheld. If you found it in a box at a show, I would say that it is questionable.

Is the card abnormally thick? That might help and figure out if the card is legit as well. Sometimes with that kind of design, the cards might be made on a thicker stock to keep the integrity of the edges and such.

Honestly, I can't say for sure. There are some things that are definitely interesting about the card, but also some things that bring up questions on it's validity.

I might contact Topps about it to find out. I would hope they would know.

With all of this said, if it is legit, it should bring in some pretty nice coin, if not, it certainly won't. I personally don't do a lot with 1/1 cards. I have a few in my collection. But I always look to find oddball types of cards. If you found it to be a modified card not from Topps, I might have interest in it just for kind of oddball collectibility. I mean, I have made some neat jersey/patch/auto cards out of base cards, but they are obviously not real. And would never want them on the open market. I just thought it was kind of cool to do.

Sorry I could not be more direct with an answer. I just don't know.

Best bet would be to call Topps and ask them I think.
                  I added more photos and I talked with Topps they are getting back to me.
                  If you look at the original card from the topps Draft Picks Prospects series number 45 Tom Brady it is a totally different colored background.
                  I have not taken card out of the plastic case. I do not know if my son got it from a pack or from a dealer. He was very young at the time. 8 years old I believe.

Comment

I contacted topps and sent them photos. Topps seems to be great to work with. They are reviewing the card now.

Comment

The colors and such look a lot like this one from EBay...

2005 06 Topps Draft Picks and Prospects Tom Brady 45 | eBay

It would be kind of sad if someone mad this and tried to pass it off as a true 1/1. But, really, if they did, they did a decent job on the edges and doing that. I hope it is a true 1/1 bud. That would be a sweet card to have in a collection.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
                      Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
                      Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
                      MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
                      NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
                      NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
                      NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
                      I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

To comment on Schwoods remarks on the die cut, when my daughter started in high school, I and not Mrs. Toshi purchased all the different type of tools and equipment in creating a scrapbook. Yes, I actually enjoyed taking the pictures and creating the pages. That's my artistic side speaking.

Getting to the point, I had die cuts that made perfect cuts on corners exactly like your card and I recall this actual floral design stamp. I bought the expensive stamp that also created a embossed impression. Creating a 1/1 stamp is not difficult, I probably would have added that 1/1 with a silver or gold leaf inlay.

Now, that's out of the way, I said I could do a card up as such. But if Topps verifies this as a 1/1 authentic, good for you!! My only caveat with this card is still the floral decor over the word Topps and Tom. Very sloppy job! Counterfeit or not.

I can't wait for an answer from Topps. This is actually a very exciting issue!

Toshi

Comment

I've sent links to several long time collectors to see what their opinion is.

Toshi

Comment

Received a reply from Topps and they verified it as being good and authentic.

Originally posted by jsab4807 View Post
                            That card is kinda sketchy to me. Can't say I've ever seen a 1/1 come out of a Topps product that wasn't either a printing plate, or a superfractor of some sort. I don't ever recall Topps just putting a 1/1 on a base card with a random die-cut design.

Did you pull it from a pack? If so, then I'm stumped. But if you got it some way outside of pulling it yourself, I'd tend to believe it's just a random base card someone tried to turn into a 1/1.
                            I received an email back from Topps customer service and they verified it as authentic. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Received verification from Topps customer service. i

I received an email back from Topps customer service and they verified it as authentic. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X