What is GU Coming To?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is GU Coming To?

When I first started to phase out of the card hobby, GU cards was just starting to appear for the first time. I remember the Collector’s Edge Game Ball cards being very popular and then the ultra-rare first set of UD Game Jersey cards. When I returned to cards a few years back, I was surprised to find that GU was SOOO common.

As I started to look into these cards, it was clear that the number of actual game used jerseys simply didn’t match up to the number of cards being produced. This is when I discovered that many of these cards are “event used” or worse yet, “player worn.” I think that at some point, this gets to a level of ridiculousness. I understand that it’s hard to get the newest rookie GU card on the market first. They have no NFL used jerseys if they haven’t played a game…so jerseys from rookie events are needed. I get that, and I’m OK with that. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best they can do to get the card out early (and probably cheaper too for the manufacture).

Now, back to that “at some point, this gets to a level of ridiculousness” comment I made earlier. I think I found that point for me. I was looking online at cards the other day…not looking to buy, just window shop when I came across this card:

As we all know, Upper Deck lost their NFL licensing a few years back and now are only issuing college related cards. I thought this card was sweet. Dan Marino and Jim Kelly patch card. I also thought how cool it is that they found game used material from an era where college players didn’t have 20 jerseys a season and there were no rookie premiere events. Also, for me there was always something mystical about the college years of NFL legends that I grew up watching as a kid since I had no memory of them being in college. So, I thought this card was really cool. They had a photo of the back of the card online too and I looked at and saw this: “CONGRATULATIONS! You have received a trading card with Dan Marino and Jim Kelly Player Worn football memorabilia. The jerseys were worn by the athletes for Upper Deck. We hope you enjoy this piece of football history, as we continue to keep you as close as you can get! Enjoy your memorabilia card!”

For some reason, this really bothered me. I know when they first started to not use game used material for GU cards they phrased it very subtlety. To me, this is flat out saying…”yeah, some employee tracked down Marino and Kelly and found them in their rocking chairs. They pulled a couple jerseys half way over their heads and we gave them a $10K check for it.” OK, so it's player worn...were used to that. Then, they call it “football history.” It just about made my stomach churn. Personally, I’d rather pull a /50 SP parallel than a piece of junk like this. To me, this is a pack issued fake patch card.

Now, maybe I’m just being dramatic…it’s happened before. But, I thought it would be interesting to dig through my collection and look at a few GU pieces and see exactly what I have and when it was from. I’m kind of curious to see when “GU” started to be not so “GU.”

1996 Collector's Edge Game Ball #G19 Kerry Collins: “Game Ball on the front was used in Arizona vs. Carolina – Nov. 19 1995.” I like this one in that it actually says not only that the ball was game used…but in what game. Definitely true GU.

1996 Upper Deck Game Jerseys #GJ5 Rashaam Salaam: “CONGRATULATIONS! You have the first every ‘Game-Worn Jersey’ card from The Upper Deck Company. On the front of this card is an authentic piece of a game-worn jersey from an official National Football League game. The swatch is from a jersey worn by Rashaan Salaam in 1995…” So, this card not only states that it was an NFL jersey worn by Salaam in a game…but it clearly states it was worn in 1995, his rookie year. Although I don’t have any other cards in this set, others that I have seen aren’t quite as specific. I know the Joe Montana card says the jersey was worn by Montana in the “early 1990s.” Still, these early cards state clearly that the cards are “game-worn” and approximately when. True GU.

1997 Collector's Edge Masters Playoff Game Ball #17 Kerry Collins-Troy Aikman: The front of the card says “Authentic NFL Playoff Game Ball.” The back of the card gives a brief summary of the 1996 Divisional Playoff game between Carolina and Dallas but makes no mention of the ball on the front. Although the card strongly hints at the ball being from this specific playoff game…it never explicitly states that it is from this or any other game, or that it is even actually game used. I know a Super Bowl Game Ball version of this set exists, I do not own one. My research has shown that they say “Authentic Super Bowl XXXI Game Ball” on the front of the card, but nowhere does it specifically say that it is a Super Bowl XXXI Game used ball. Now, this is super early in GU, perhaps they just weren’t that specific back then…or perhaps this is the first example of card makers being a little subtle about where the true history of the item.

2002 Press Pass JE Game Used Jersey Names #JP-JH Joey Harrington /25: “You are now the proud owner of a Press Pass Certified Authentic GAME-USED JERSEY CARD. This piece of jersey was worn by Joey Harrington during his collegiate career.” The card clearly says the jersey was worn by Harrington during his collegiate career. It also calls the jersey “game-used jersey.” However, it does not explicitly say that the jersey was worn by Harrington in an official NCAA game. It could be a practice jersey or something. You never know.

2006 Bowman Sterling Refractors #JP Julius Peppers /199 – “Authentic Player-Worn Pro Bowl Jersey.” Nowhere does it say the jersey was game used, it says “player-worn.” Pretty clear this was not a true GU.

2007 Exquisite Collection #129 Dwayne Jarrett /99: “On the front of this card is a piece of event worn memorabilia worn by Dwayne Jarrett.” Not game used, worn at some non-specific event.

2007 Playoff Prestige Turning Pro #TP-10 Demetrius Williams /250: “The enclosed pieces of jersey were cut from Authentic Jerseys personally worn by Demetrius Williams in an official NFL game and a Collegiate game.” I think that’s pretty solid true GU.

2007 UD Exquisite Collection Patch Spectrum #EP-JM Joe Montana /15: This one makes me think a little. It says “CONGRATULATIONS! You have received a Joe Montana Game-Used Trading Card. On the front of this card is a piece of memorabilia that has been certified to us as having been used in an official NFL game.” On the surface, this one looks legit…but the more I read it the more I wonder. Clearly, it says the piece was used in an official NFL game…but it doesn’t say it was used by Joe Montana in an official NFL game. A little piece of me is wondering if the piece was game used by “someone” and then put on this “Joe Montana Game-Used trading card.” Paranoid?...maybe.

2008 Leaf Limited Threads #146 Joe Montana /100: “The enclosed piece of jersey was cut from an authentic jersey personally worn by Joe Montana in an official NFL game.” That one seems pretty rock solid true GU.

2011 Panini Playbook Mammoth Materials Prime #4 Jon Beason /25: “The enclosed game-worn material is guaranteed by Panini America Inc.” The card states it is game worn (doesn’t specific NFL game) but does not say if it was worn by Beason. It could have been worn by anyone.

2011 Timeless Treasures Changing Stripes #14 Joe Namath /249: “The enclosed game-worn material is guaranteed by Panini America Inc.” It says that the material is game worn…but by whom? Somehow I doubt Namath actually wore the jerseys on this card…especially the Rams jersey since he only appeared in 4 games for LA.

So, I think that was kind of interesting. I think it puts it into perspective a little too. It sort of seems that actual true game used material of the player on the front of the card is less important in the hobby today. I know I buy jersey cards if I really like the card, but in my heart I hold the ones that are truly a game used piece in much higher regard. Yes, I love my Dwayne Jarrett jersey card because it has a sick patch…but it was never used in a game, and that truly limits the coolness factor for me.

It gets even worse when you read about how companies like Upper Deck bought jerseys that weren't authenticated for a few years, from sellers they knew weren't reputable. I avoid GU as much as possible, it's pretty contrived.
    My Bucket: http://s1284.beta.photobucket.com/us...ghost/library/

I collect: TRAE ARBET, Austin Meadows, Gregory Polanco

Comment

Originally posted by revghost View Post
      It gets even worse when you read about how companies like Upper Deck bought jerseys that weren't authenticated for a few years, from sellers they knew weren't reputable. I avoid GU as much as possible, it's pretty contrived.
      When did this occur? I noticed on my 2007 Montana that it said " On the front of this card is a piece of memorabilia that has been certified to us as having been used in an official NFL game." That sure seems like they are saying "as far as we know...it's authentic." I wonder if this is an example of them writing the authenticity statement on the back to work with their history of less than reputable dealers.

Comment

I can't remember, I'd have to Google it, but seems like it was right around 2007, maybe from 2005-2008 or something like that. Yeah, sounds like a little CYA there, doesn't it?

Comment

Here, read this: Fraud sports memorabilia dealer Bradley Wells tells FBI prominent card companies knew his jerseys were fakes - NY Daily News

Comment

I had heard about this in passing but never actually saw the article. Very interesting and disturbing read.

Comment

Yeah, I already was pretty put off by numerous all white and all grey jersey swatches, but this pretty much has me avoiding trading for or buying GU. If I pull it, that's one thing, but I typically sell just to get it out of inventory. As much as I don't like the term 'event worn' at least most of the time companies like Panini have photos on the Knights' Lance to show the player wearing the jersey at the event.

Comment

Originally posted by revghost View Post
                Yeah, I already was pretty put off by numerous all white and all grey jersey swatches, but this pretty much has me avoiding trading for or buying GU. If I pull it, that's one thing, but I typically sell just to get it out of inventory. As much as I don't like the term 'event worn' at least most of the time companies like Panini have photos on the Knights' Lance to show the player wearing the jersey at the event.
                Yeah, I agree with where you are coming from. I still collect them, but the newer issue cards don't really have the same allure to me as they once did. I think of them as being more of a novelty...if it's clearly game used, that's really cool. But, one thing I still like about them, even if the source is questionable, is if you seek out multi-colored examples at least the card is somewhat unique.

Comment

This post is a great read and really makes you think when acquiring cards. It baffles me that companies would consider putting a random jersey into a Montana etc just to sell the product. The newer cards will have a tag line that reads "The enclosed jersey, pant, glove, towel, hat, shoe, or whatever you pretend it is has been guaranteed to be an authentic one of those things by the second cousin of the ball boy who we purchased this item from in the alley behind the stadium and the very reputable Upper Deck Company. We hope you enjoy the enclosed piece of imagination as much as the guy we paid $5000 to get it from."

Comment

Originally posted by CamaroDMD View Post
                    2011 Timeless Treasures Changing Stripes #14 Joe Namath /249: “The enclosed game-worn material is guaranteed by Panini America Inc.” It says that the material is game worn…but by whom? Somehow I doubt Namath actually wore the jerseys on this card…especially the Rams jersey since he only appeared in 4 games for LA.
                    I am curious for your thoughts on this particular card in my collection (which I do not have a scan of)…but here is an example currently for sale online on COMC where I burrowed this photo from:

As you can see in my statement above, the back says: “The enclosed game-worn material is guaranteed by Panini America Inc.” It says it’s game-worn but doesn’t say anywhere that it is game worn by Namath. Surely, in the years Namath played (1965-77)…jerseys were reused for several games. I can believe that are a few Namath GU Jets jerseys floating around out there…but the Rams jersey on this card is certainly suspect in my mind. Namath played his final season with the LA Rams…in 1977 and played in their first four games that year. I looked at the 1977 Rams season and two of those four games were home games. Clearly the jersey on this card is a home Rams jersey since it’s blue. Meaning, if it truly is a GU Namath Rams jersey…had to have been used in one of two games (1977 Wk 2 vs. Eagles or 1977 Wk 3 vs. 49ers). It’s also entirely possible that Namath worse the same jersey for those two games. I also have no idea what the 1977 pre-season consisted of or if Namath played. That said there is probably an absolute maximum of 4 home Rams GU jerseys of Namath that EVER existed.

So, my question is this…what do you think the true history of the Rams jersey swatch on this card is?

Comment

As much of a hobby this is for us, it's still about what makes the world go round! My daughter thought it was love, I told her it's money and never forget that. That's what it boils down to! As collectors, we feed and create a demand and need for specialty cards. If all sports card collectors stop purchasing cards in a ban, then this might change, until then, the continued use of specific words to create sales will continue. Ultimately, a card (Or any collectible for that matter) is only worth what you're willing to pay for.

I do see your point, it's equivalent to a magic show where you pull a rabbit out of a hat! Also note that this issue is industry wide. This issue will get worse before it gets any better, until then...

Toshi
                      I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Comment

Originally posted by hayn View Post
                        As much of a hobby this is for us, it's still about what makes the world go round! My daughter thought it was love, I told her it's money and never forget that. That's what it boils down to! As collectors, we feed and create a demand and need for specialty cards. If all sports card collectors stop purchasing cards in a ban, then this might change, until then, the continued use of specific words to create sales will continue. Ultimately, a card (Or any collectible for that matter) is only worth what you're willing to pay for.

I do see your point, it's equivalent to a magic show where you pull a rabbit out of a hat! Also note that this issue is industry wide. This issue will get worse before it gets any better, until then...

Toshi
                        I think you are 100% correct. This is a business and as long as they card companies are making money...they will continue to do so. And, if they can find a way to lower their overhead costs without killing sales (like using "player worn" jerseys instead of "game used") they will. I made a comment on another forum that I wonder how long it will be before they just start having cards that say "the piece of jersey on this card is from an authentic Nike NFL jersey exactly like is worn in a real NFL game" and the piece comes from a jersey than Panini buys from NFLshop.com. I agree, it's going to get worse...as these companies look to decrease overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by CamaroDMD View Post
                          I think you are 100% correct. This is a business and as long as they card companies are making money...they will continue to do so. And, if they can find a way to lower their overhead costs without killing sales (like using "player worn" jerseys instead of "game used") they will. I made a comment on another forum that I wonder how long it will be before they just start having cards that say "the piece of jersey on this card is from an authentic Nike NFL jersey exactly like is worn in a real NFL game" and the piece comes from a jersey than Panini buys from NFLshop.com. I agree, it's going to get worse...as these companies look to decrease overhead.
                          Lol, as long as it's authentic, it will sell. On a side note, as long as they use authentic jerseys as opposed to replicas, people won't say much. Those jerseys cost a bit over $200 a piece, lol. But seriously. It shouldn't be hard in this day and age, with all the waste in pro sports, to come up with real game used material. Football players wear all sorts of accessories: gloves, wristbands, etc.. that It seems ridiulous to me that these companies would have to go and buy gear from bootleggers. I'd rather have a piece of game worn anything (no jock, pls) than a piece of a jersey that was bought off the back of a truck in Queens. I appreciate the thought that Panini has put into some of their products, using cleats, gloves, hockey sticks, hockey skates, buttons from baseball jerseys, I like where they are going with this. I think most collectors are more than done with pieces of blank grey/white jerseys though, and while I'd love for Topps and Panini to stop using dull swatches, collectors keep scooping up products full of this shit. My collection has a wide array of pieces like this, so I'm a guilty party, and yes, I'm a rainbow/reftractor guy so I help perpetuate the SN market every chance I get, but I feel like if you, as a business, are marketing product to adults, you may want to consider hiring a few collectors to help you with your product. I feel like there is a disconnect between the major manufacturers and the collectors. And holding VIP parties and Question/Non-answer sessions really doesn't equate to customer service.

Comment

On a better note, I definitely enjoy a card with autos combined with jersey. These cards always carry a high premium book value. Take a look at my recent Showcase hit thread Blowout Card Part 2. I love the Ryan Tannehill hit. It's 4 color with his auto and carries the Prime tag. eBay has this card above the BV of $60.00.

At the same time, I definitely don't want an athletes dirty stinky shirt, pants or underwear in my collection! If you're a die hard collector of such, Panini has their line of Totally Certified Down and Dirty series of cards that have everything from blood to grass stains and who knows what that stain is on the jersey cards! That's not for me. But at least Panini hears your concerns and have met them and exceeded collectors expectations.
                            I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Comment

Working...
                            X