Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Topps Strata Football

Hello all,

I need some help, I have bought some 2013 Topps Strata about a year ago.

Some notices on cards, some are thin and some are thick, what are the differences.

How come some in beckett don't have prices.

Thanks
    Tom

To ClevCrunch,

The thick Strata cards are from hobby boxes. The thin ones are retail. Make sure you seperate the two when it comes time for a trade. You don't want to be sending retail cards out unless a forum member specifies so. Also, some cards in general will have different poses.

The other product to watch for is Topps Prime. Prime also follows the path as Strata. Panini products that have these differences as well are Absolute and Crown Royale. Absolute retail encompasses a non-foil finish, 2012 Crown were non-die cuts, 2013 Crown were thinner with some minor graphic changes.

Each products have their pros and cons via either retail or hobby.

RETAIL:

Pros,
    Cheaper, hit specific, an easy way to sample a product first hand, widely available at any big ticket store ie: Walmart or Target (They actually have retail specific hits like in 2012, retail Contenders offered only at Target included special Rookie of the Year cards inserted one per Blaster Box), and can be purchased for $19.99.

Cons,
    Difficulty for set collectors ie: Thick and thin and cards, not as good looking nor have the feel of a hobby product hence the $19.99 cost, and quality.

HOBBY

Pros,
    Big hits, if you hit big, you really hit big, one card could potentially pay for the entire hobby box or two, absolutely gorgeous cards, high quality product, especially the high end items like Panini National Treasures or Topps Five Star, and the potential for higher values in the future.

Cons,
    Really Expensive! A hobby box can start from an estimated $80.00 to $600.00. There are the exceptions. Special edition boxes like the Joe Montana set sells from $800.00 to $1000.00. If your hits are bad, you loose big time in collectibility and cost.

Ultimately it's up to you. I collect to collect. But at the same time it would be nice to get a big hit. What collector doesn't? What's really great about retail is the fact that there are products that do not differ from it's hobby counterparts. Some examples from Topps are Bowman, Chrome, and Platinum. In regards to Panini choices, they are as follows, Score and Prestige.

One company I left out as far as the big 3 card companies is Upper Deck. They have some really nice retail and hobby products. I can't give you an example as far as retail versus hobby products go, some years it's this way or that. Ultimately, from what I learned from the many wonderful, helpful, and ever giving forum members here is the motto of in the end just have fun. There is no wrong way to collect nor a right way to collect. It's your collection! Do as you please.

Toshi
    Last edited by hayn; 06-08-2014, 06:36 AM.
    I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Comment

I forgot to add, as for Beckett prices. Beckett periodicals can only fit so many cards into it's printed form. There is a annual book approximately 2 to 3" thick. But it starts from the previous year. The best way to get your information is either to utilize CWC (Card Collectors World) thread called price check or ultimately to purchase the online Beckett price guide. It encompasses every new release of a product and at times a photo of the card(s). It also has the feature to organize your collection and to do a buy, sell, trade, and certification option.

Toshi
      I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

Comment

As was mentioned in your other thread, there is a difference between hobby & retail. I haven't purchased any Strata, so I can't detail those differences.

As far as pricing...

That could be a link to the "hobby & retail" theme as well. It looks like hobby sells better than retail in the secondary market. Beckett makes their pricing books by watching (and getting reports from) seller & buyers to see how cards are selling. They will then study that information & establish a "high" & "low" value for each one they have information on.

Often, there are cards that don't have enough sale history (if any at all) to get a good feel for the value & you'll see n/a listed. These are usually cards that are serial numbered to 10 or less.

In the case of the Strata you're asking about, it looks like RCs have pricing for hobby & retail but the vets are only selling (or being sold) in hobby, as they are all n/a under retail.
        - Dave

I collect Calvin, Barry, 1 auto each of rookie Lions that make the team & HOF auto & GU.

Albums

Updated 3/25/2016

Comment

Thank you so much, thanks for the information. Just trying to get rid of cards and only collect my PCs. Very helpful Thanks again

Comment

Thanks for the information. Yeah I have an online beckett subscription but was just curious on why retail of regular players were not prices only the rookies. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ClevCrunch View Post
              Thanks for the information. Yeah I have an online beckett subscription but was just curious on why retail of regular players were not prices only the rookies. thanks
              Most, but not all in general, the retail mirrors the hobby in regards to product costs. The safest bet is to utilize the hobby cost unless it's a hit specific retail product. A great example is 2012 Crown Royale. Mrs. Toshi pulled a jumbo jersey RGIII, I recall it listed for $30.00. The hobby version lists much higher than that. I hope this answers some of your questions.

Comment

Working...
              X