Happiness in cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happiness in cards

As I typed out another post responding to Key, it crossed my mind how much my expectations for cards has changed since I was a kid.

The height of my collecting days was from 95 to about 99/00. In those days, for me at least, not knowing what a hobby box was, pulling an auto or jersey was unheard of (In all this time I think I pulled a Glyn Milburn (sp?) rookie auto (for the Packers), A Paul Bearer auto, and A Randy Moss/Cris Carter jersey card (#'d out of something 700 or 1000 (at the time, insanely short print run), and I ripped a ton of packs).

I'll never forget one of my favorite sets, to this day, is 95 Topps. At the time you could buy packs of these for 25 cents at Walmart, and in a sign of the times, you could pull a '1000 yard' club insert every couple of packs that would list in Beckett for $20, supply and demand be damned!!!

Point being its saddens me that I can't enjoy simple base cards anymore. In 95, as the Panthers and Jags expanded into the league, I lived in Jacksonville, NC, and instantly became a huge Kerry Collins fan. If you would told 10 year old me in 1995 that as an adult, I could have a Kerry Collins Topps Finest rookie for a buck, I would've assumed the future was a magical place where there was no time for violence, or war, everyone would be too busy collecting.

Per my usual, this post is getting lengthy and running away from me, I guess I just wanted to express how much I loved 95-99 card designs, and how sad it is to me that I could give a **** about base cards these days.

I leave you all with this last undeniable fact: there will never (...ever) be a better looking set than 96' Select Certified. Everyday of my adult life I have to fight the urge to spend 100s of dollars I don't have buying up the red/blue/mirror inserts of those sets.

Last edited by tzofosho; 08-09-2014, 12:04 AM.
    “We got a long ways to go.”-Deuce McCallister

LSU grad and Aaron Brooks + era Saints fan...Collector of all interesting and odd cards Saints and LSU related. I shoot for any LSU/Saints Autos and Relic cards that I don't have one of yet, and am attempting to build a collection of every saints draft pick rookie ever, additionally certain /25 card sets and Topps Chrome Rainbows, of the man himself, Sir Drew Brees.

Wow, you're spot on as for the Certified. They do look spectacular. Starting my collecting of football cards in 2012, all I can say is thank you so much in sharing your thoughts and photos with CCW members like myself, whom have limited knowledge on football cards that were produced prior to 2012.

Can you explain to me in detail what; "Card in Registery" pertains to and the process in which to obtain such a title?

Thank you in advance,

Toshi
    I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Comment

Originally posted by hayn View Post
      Wow, you're spot on as for the Certified. They do look spectacular. Starting my collecting of football cards in 2012, all I can say is thank you so much in sharing your thoughts and photos with CCW members like myself, whom have limited knowledge on football cards that were produced prior to 2012.

Can you explain to me in detail what; "Card in Registery" pertains to and the process in which to obtain such a title?

Thank you in advance,

Toshi
      Hey Toshi, thanks as usual for responding, and again, I can't say enough about that Select Certified set. I am particularly partial to cards from about 95-00 mostly just because of the nostalgia I have tied up in them.

I have no idea what the card in registry thing is. I borrowed that image from Google Search, those are unfortunately not my cards.

LSU grad and Aaron Brooks + era Saints fan...Collector of all interesting and odd cards Saints and LSU related. I shoot for any LSU/Saints Autos and Relic cards that I don't have one of yet, and am attempting to build a collection of every saints draft pick rookie ever, additionally certain /25 card sets and Topps Chrome Rainbows, of the man himself, Sir Drew Brees.

Comment

1996 Pinnacle Select Certified NFL Football Card Box | eBay
        -$93.57, if this wasn't such an expensive month for me I'd have to consider it. I am also interested in trying to run my first ebay box break next month or the month after, we'll see if that develops.

Talk of these cards has made me want to renew my Troy Aikman collection from my childhood, I've got about 100 cards of his back at my parents house (I went back and pulled the cards of any significant value the last time I was home, but they still have the bulk of my childhood collection). He was my favorite because it was the 90s, Dallas was America's team, we're both named Troy, and I'm a loser. Renewing this collection would allow me to collect the full range of overprinted 90s cards I love so much. I've also considered this with Sam Mills, we'll see what happens...

just wanted to post to put up one of my other favorite 90s sets, 95 finest:

Comment

Working...
        X