Cardinals Sign Carson Palmer To 3 Year $50 Million Extension - Tears ACL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinals Sign Carson Palmer To 3 Year $50 Million Extension - Tears ACL

Arizona Cardinals sign QB Carson Palmer to 3-year contract extension worth $50 million - ESPN

The Arizona Cardinals signed quarterback Carson Palmer to a three-year extension that keeps the two-time Pro Bowler under contract through 2017, the team announced Friday.

Contract terms were not disclosed by the Cardinals, but sources confirmed to ESPN that the deal is worth $50 million in total. It is guaranteed through 2015 and includes a guaranteed $20.5 million during that span, a source said. The average salary range is between $15.9 million and $16.6 million.

Palmer, who was due to enter free agency after this year, was slated to earn $9 million this season.

CBSSports.com earlier reported terms of the deal.

Palmer, 34, played in the season opener before an injury to his right throwing shoulder forced him to miss the next three games. He returned in Week 6 and is 5-0 this season for the NFL-best Cardinals (7-1).

"Carson has played at an incredibly high level and has been a huge part of the team's success," general manager Steve Keim said in a statement. "When you combine his on-field performance with the leadership, stability and professionalism he brings to our team, there was no question that we wanted to extend the relationship and we are excited he felt the same way."

Palmer joined the Cardinals in 2013 after being acquired in a trade from the Oakland Raiders. Since coming to the Cardinals, Palmer has a 15-6 record in his 21 starts in Arizona, which represents the best record for a modern-era Cardinals QB through his first 21 starts.

After years of individual production, Palmer finally paired it with team success in Arizona. Last season he compiled his first winning record since 2009, and he's on pace to experience consecutive seasons above .500 for the first time in his career.

Since Week 8 of last year, Palmer has a 12-2 record, the best mark in the NFL over that span, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Palmer has thrown just two interceptions this season -- a year after throwing 22 -- to accompany 11 touchdowns. He's the league's highest-rated quarterback on third down.

His streak of 18 straight games with a touchdown pass currently is tied with the New England Patriots' Tom Brady for the fourth longest in the NFL, and his run of six consecutive games with at least two touchdown passes is the second longest behind the Denver Broncos' Peyton Manning.

In 142 career starts, Palmer has completed 62.5 percent of his passes for 35,124 yards, 222 touchdowns and 154 interceptions. Last season, he became the first player to throw for 4,000 yards with three different teams.

Interesting deal. He's played well, but he's lost quite a bit of arm strength. It will be interesting to see him at the end of the deal.
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

I think the deal will work out well, until the can find someone else for him to mentor.
      http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Glad he got his cash before the injury.
        Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

Carson Palmer of Arizona Cardinals exits with knee injury against St. Louis Rams - ESPN

The Arizona Cardinals fear that quarterback Carson Palmer suffered a torn ACL in his left knee during Sunday's game against the St. Louis Rams, according to multiple reports.

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said that the team wouldn't know Palmer's prognosis until more tests are done.

"We don't know anything about Carson's injury or the length or whatever it is yet," Arians said following Arizona's 31-14 victory. "It is obviously a knee, but he will be evaluated and get an MRI and everything, and we'll know something more hopefully by Tuesday."

Arians is scheduled to address the media again Monday afternoon.

Palmer was injured on a sack by Rams safety Mark Barron with about 11:21 left in the fourth quarter Sunday, just two days after he signed a three-year contract extension worth a reported $50 million, including $20.5 million guaranteed.

Barron hit Palmer but didn't bring him down. However, Palmer went to the turf a moment later and lay on the field while he was attended to by team trainers and doctor. While he was walking off the field, he appeared to stumble and had to be held up. He was then carted off the field.

Palmer was 25-for-36 passing for 241 yards and an interception before the injury. He missed three games earlier this season with a damaged nerve in his throwing shoulder. The Cardinals won two of those three games with Drew Stanton starting at quarterback.

Stanton replaced Palmer on Sunday, leading the first-place Cardinals (8-1) to their fifth straight victory.

"We knew Drew would come in and do a heck of a job," Arians said.

Palmer tore the ACL and MCL in the same knee during the playoffs in 2006. His surgeon at that time deemed the damage a "four" on a "scale of one to three."

The last time Palmer suffered a similar knee injury, he signed a six-year, $118 million contract on Dec. 29, 2005 -- just 10 days before tearing his ACL and MCL.

Comment

Working...
          X