Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colts Release Trent Richardson, Signs With Raiders

Indianapolis Colts waive disappointing RB Trent Richardson - ESPN

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indianapolis Colts have cut ties with running back Trent Richardson, releasing him Thursday after two disappointing seasons.

The Colts acquired Richardson, the No. 3 overall pick in 2012, from the Cleveland Browns for a first-round pick with the vision of teaming him with quarterback Andrew Luck, the No. 1 overall pick that year, in September 2013.

"I was expecting this," Richardson told ESPN.com. "It just didn't work out. I'm not saying anything bad about the program, but that program just didn't fit me at all. Me and the GM didn't see eye to eye. It was a bad marriage for us."

Richardson lost his starting job late in the 2013 season to Donald Brown. And that was just the start of Richardson's problems.

He entered the 2014 season as the starter, only to end up losing his job to Daniel Herron late in the season. Richardson fell behind Herron and Zurlon Tipton, who spent the first part of the season on the practice squad, in the playoffs. After being inactive for the divisional playoff game against Denver, Richardson said that would never happen again.

Richardson was right; he wasn't inactive for the AFC Championship Game against New England. He was suspended for two games by the team after he failed to notify it that he would miss walk-through the day before the game against the Patriots.

Richardson missed the walk-through because his wife was in the hospital with serious pregnancy complications.

"Nothing would stop me from going to work other than my kids," Richardson said. "With that, I told coach (Chuck Pagano) the situation. I said I could fly in or try to make the flight. He told me we weren't going to dress you anyway."

Language in Richardson's contract allowed the Colts to avoid paying Richardson's $3.1 million salary for next season because of his two-game suspension. A grievance to try and recoup some or all of Richardson's salary will likely be filed.

The suspension was the final straw for Richardson with the Colts. The team grew frustrated with him during the season because he had weight problems, was often late to team meetings and had poor communication skills with team officials. Richardson missed making weight 14 times during the season, according to a source.

"We had made an agreement where I'd weigh 230 pounds, but it turns out that I was supposed to be 227 pounds and they didn't tell me that," Richardson said. "We've got a list of things we can use against the Colts where I can get my money back. They were fining me for failing to meet conduct code. Not making weight is not conduct code."

Richardson rushed for 977 yards on 316 attempts in 29 games with the Colts. He failed to crack 100 yards rushing in any of those 29 games.

"I'll be one of the top running backs from here on out," Richardson said. "They ruled Marshawn Lynch off in his third year. Look at what he's doing now. My next stop, I'll be the starter. I still have my pride and I know who I am."

RB Trent Richardson signs with Oakland Raiders - ESPN

The Oakland Raiders will give Trent Richardson his third chance to make it in the NFL, as the team announced his signing Tuesday.

Terms were not disclosed, but the former Alabama star running back will compete with Latavius Murray to be the Raiders' starting running back.

Richardson said Tuesday that he expects to win the Raiders' starting job.

"If a guy is coming in and doesn't expect to be a starter, why is that guy here? For me, I expect to be a starter wherever I'm at. I just can't wait for the opportunity," he said.

Richardson struggled in both Cleveland and Indianapolis, but the Raiders think the 24-year-old is worth a shot.

"Physically, I think that when you get to this level, you can play it," Richardson said Tuesday when asked if he was surprised by Chris Borland's sudden retirement on Monday. "But mentally, when you sit and think about stuff or your mind is not into it, that can tear you down as a man. A lot of football players don't realize stuff until it's gone.

"I've been playing football my whole life. I've been playing football since I was 6 years old. Coach asked me this yesterday. ... He said, 'So, what would you do without football? At your age, what would you do without football?' It kind of hit me to where, 'Yeah, you're right, Coach.' That's something that you don't expect, that you don't hear from everybody."

Comment

Working...
    X