Denver Broncos Win Super Bowl 50 - Von Miller Super Bowl MVP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Broncos Win Super Bowl 50 - Von Miller Super Bowl MVP

Defense powers Broncos, Peyton Manning to Super Bowl 50 win - Denver Broncos Blog- ESPN

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Don’t say quarterback Peyton Manning didn’t tell you exactly how the Denver Broncos would win Super Bowl 50.

Manning said, over and over throughout Super Bowl week, that no matter how his right arm felt, no matter how his left foot felt, it has been the Broncos’ bruise-inflicting, quarterback-rattling defense "that got us here, let’s just make that clear."

And much like the rest of their season, Manning had just enough left in his 39-year-old body to keep things in order on offense and give the Broncos' defense room to stomp, flex and rumble to a 24-10 win over the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50 at Levi’s Stadium.

"I'm just glad I'm on the same team as our defense and glad I don't have play against them ... No question our defense led the way," Manning said.

The victory is the Broncos’ third in the Super Bowl -- it was the team’s record-tying eighth trip -- and ultimately fulfilled a promise Broncos general manager John Elway made to Manning in 2012.

Elway told Manning he would do "everything in my power," to help him close out his career with a championship. That everything included giving the Broncos the kind of defense Manning has never had in tow before.

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips has said the Broncos' cornerbacks are the best he has had in his almost four decades' worth of work in the NFL. They are the kind of defensive backs the pass-rushers love because they give them the time they need to get home. Phillips has consistently described linebacker Von Miller as "special."

From the moment Miller arrived in Denver with the second pick of the 2011 draft, his coveted ability to turn speed to power, power to speed has been on display. But when DeMarcus Ware arrived in free agency in 2014 it transitioned Miller from gifted athlete to full-blown football hell-raiser with the drive, moves and down-to-down determination to lead a defense to a Super Bowl win.

It was in all of those practice conversations, all of the Wednesday competitions, that Ware, pass-rusher royalty in the 100-sack club, would constantly push Miller to make more plays than he did that day, and the next one, and all of the days that followed.

Miller showed big-moment impact with his sack and forced fumble that led to the Broncos’ first-quarter touchdown. He later beat Panthers right tackle Mike Remmers with a move Miller didn’t have early in his career -- the spin back inside when the tackle tried to push him out wide.

And he put the exclamation point on it when he knocked the ball free from Cam Newton in the game's final minutes, showing enough power and leverage to hold off Remmers with one arm and knock the ball out -- left-handed -- with the other. That play led to the Broncos' first offensive touchdown of the game -- with 3 minutes, 8 seconds to play -- a score that gave the Broncos a 24-10 lead when C.J. Anderson plowed over Panthers Pro Bowl linebacker Luke Kuechly into the end zone.

The Broncos had seven sacks and pressured Newton a season-high 19 times.

Phillips said he often works back from Miller in the pass-rush plan. Even if Miller doesn’t get a sack, the attention offenses must pay him has allowed the Broncos to unleash a diversity in the pass rush that has powered the defense.

As Phillips has said: "Von Miller has beat his guy almost every play this season. ... When they put other guys over there to help, then we can do some things." It’s why 13 different players had at least one sack for the Broncos in the regular season. And why when the Panthers tried to add a tight end, move a player to unbalance their front Sunday, the Broncos still generated pressure on Newton.

In the end Manning was right, the Broncos' defense was why the Broncos played for the Lombardi trophy and certainly why they hoisted it. And they made that perfectly clear.

Super Bowl 50 -- Von Miller of Denver Broncos named Most Valuable Player

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - There was nothing different, nothing exotic about what the Denver Broncos defense did in Super Bowl 50 to Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers, insisted Broncos linebacker Von Miller.

It was just brutally timely and efficient.

Miller was at the center of the storm for the Broncos and was the game's MVP after racking up 2.5 sacks of Newton, including two game-changing strip-sacks that first set the tone, then sealed things up in the Broncos' 24-10 victory at Levi's Stadium.

"In all honesty, we came into the game wanting to play our defense," Miller said.

"We knew if we were to be consistent and play [our] style of defense that we'd be able to come out on top."

And while Miller finished with six tackles - his 2.5 sacks were for a combined 27 yards - two quarterback hits, a pass defensed and the two forced fumbles, he credited his teammates.

"If I could cut this award," he said, "I would give it to DeMarcus [Ware] and [Derek] Wolfe and all the other guys. That's what I would do. This is all great and stuff, but, for me, I want to be with my guys.

"I would take the ring; the MVP is great, but I'll take the ring. I want to go in there with my teammates."

It was Miller's strip-sack of Newton in the first quarter that gave the Broncos their first touchdown and the Panthers their first of four turnovers, defensive lineman Malik Jackson recovering the football in the end zone to give Denver a 10-0 lead.

And it was Miller's strip-sack of Newton in the fourth quarter that set the Broncos up for their final score, safety T.J. Ward jumping on the ball at the 9-yard line with just over four minutes to play. Four plays later, C.J. Wilson pounded it in for a two-yard touchdown.

Ballgame.

Sure, Miller's humility is appreciated in the locker room, but his teammates also know what kind of player he is.

"He's tremendous, but we expect nothing less," defensive lineman Antonio Smith said. "He's one of the most dynamic pass-rushers in the league. When he turns it on and hes healthy, nobody's going to stop him."

Truly, the last time Miller and Newton were this close -- both symbolically and physically -- was on draft night in 2011, when Newton went No. 1 overall to the Panthers and Miller No. 2 to the Broncos.

Since then, Miller has dealt with a six-game suspension for violating the league's drug policy and come back from a torn anterior cruciate ligament -- both in 2013.

"He's a hell of a player, but he has become a great pro, a great man and a big leader on this football team," Broncos coach Gary Kubiak said. "Very proud of everybody, but especially proud of him."

As such, Miller is the 10th defensive Super Bowl MVP, the second in three years, with linebacker Malcolm Smith doing it for the Seattle Seahawks against the Broncos two years ago.

But only two other linebackers have been Super Bowl MVP -- the Baltimore Ravens' Ray Lewis in Super Bowl XXXV and the Dallas Cowboys' Chuck Howley in Super Bowl V.

"I just wanted to key in to my guy, key in to my tackle, the center, key into Cam," Miller said. "His cadence is definitely one of the hardest to get down in the National Football League. We just keyed in. That's the type of defense we've been playing all year long."

See? Nothing different about that at all.

Comment

Working...
    X