Bills Sign Percy Harvin To 1 Year Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bills Sign Percy Harvin To 1 Year Deal

Percy Harvin coming out of retirement to sign with Buffalo Bills for remainder of season

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- With their depth at wide receiver thinned by injuries, the Buffalo Bills lured former first-round pick Percy Harvin out of retirement to sign with the team for the rest of the season.

Harvin, 28, announced his retirement in April after ending last season on injured reserve. The Bills signed Harvin during the 2015 offseason, and he played in the first five games of last season before he was sidelined by lingering hip and knee injuries.

Harvin had his injured knee scoped in January and said Tuesday that he decided to retire because his body wasn't allowing him to play at the level he wanted.

"It was time for me to just step back, let my body heal without trainers putting a timeline on it or being rushed," he said.

"I actually thought I was done. I was at peace pretty much the first five weeks of the NFL [season]. I really wasn't focused on football, I didn't have an urge to go play. I was just kind of relaxing and letting my mind just chill. As the five weeks went by, the next month came and the body started feeling good, so the mind started wandering a little bit."

General manager Doug Whaley told WGR 550 on Tuesday that senior vice president of football administration Jim Overdorf floated the idea of re-signing Harvin. The team approached its former receiver about two weeks ago with the idea of returning, Harvin said.

Because Harvin has not practiced or played in over a year, Whaley acknowledged that the receiver might not be able to play Monday night against the Seattle Seahawks.

Whaley said that there was "minimal contact" with other teams prior to Tuesday's 4 p.m. NFL trade deadline and the Bills preferred re-signing Harvin because it did not require giving up draft assets or a player in a trade.

In Buffalo last season, Harvin showed brief flashes of what made him a star early in his career. He caught a 51-yard touchdown pass in the regular-season opener and caught 19 receptions for 218 yards in five games before being sidelined because of his injuries. When Harvin did not travel to London with the Bills for a Week 7 game last October, coach Rex Ryan said, "I don't know where he is right now."

"That whole thing, it was a bunch of frustration, not knowing whether to rehab, whether to go with the doctors up here, whether to listen to my body," Harvin explained Tuesday. "It was a lot of things I was trying to play out in my head."

Harvin, who was selected with the 22nd overall pick of the 2009 draft out of Florida, has 351 career receptions for 4,020 yards and 22 touchdowns. His production has dipped since posting career highs in catches (87) and receiving yards (967) for the Minnesota Vikings in 2011.
Working...
X