Supreme Court Strikes Down Video Game Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Court Strikes Down Video Game Law

This morning the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a proposed law that looked to ban the sale of violent video games to minors in California. The Supreme Court has affirmed the Constitutional rights of game developers, adults keep the right to decide what's appropriate in their houses, and store owners can sell games without fear of criminal prosecution. Click on the link below to read more.

Games Industry Reacts to Supreme Court Decision
    Last edited by key2win; 06-27-2011, 10:26 PM.

The U.S. Supreme Court struck down a proposed law that looked to ban the sale of violent video games to minors not all video games buddy.

Let the parents decide if they should play them not "Big Brother"
    Still collecting Frank Thomas in any uni and HoFer G/U & Auto's.

I do not trade nor buy at "eBay values", unless a card is so rare that it is unlisted.

Comment

Thats the last time I copy and paste from an article without reading what Im posting here first. LOL! Thanks buddy. Made correction on my first post.

Comment

Not to say I support either way, but what is the difference between this and movie ratings. depending on the rating certain age groups cannot rent or purchase movies, why would video games be any different?
        ONLINE SUPPLY SOURCE <-- All your supply needs at a wholesale price

Comment

I never understood that because if a videogame is rated Mature, only people over 17 can buy them at stores. But if a 15 year old wants to buy say Aliens on DVD with is Rated R, they would let him buy it right? Only movie theatres wont let people under 17 see a Rated R movie without an adult present.

Comment

I thought this was already the law? I had to buy Mature games for my brother when he wasn't old enough.
            Bucket l Los Angeles Inspiration l Tradelist
            Collecting GU/Patches/Autos:
            Dodgers, UCLA, Mexico, Adrian Gonzalez, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant,
            Joe Johnson, Toney Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by key2win View Post
              I never understood that because if a videogame is rated Mature, only people over 17 can buy them at stores. But if a 15 year old wants to buy say Aliens on DVD with is Rated R, they would let him buy it right? Only movie theatres wont let people under 17 see a Rated R movie without an adult present.

it has been a while...but as I remember - MOST store policies will NOT allow under 17 to purchase or rent a rated R movie, same guidelines as movie theaters. That is why I don't understand the contradicting ruling on this. It seems to be the same principle, but different rules....
              ONLINE SUPPLY SOURCE <-- All your supply needs at a wholesale price

Comment

i remember having to buy a game for a friend because they let him reserve it but they couldn't sell it to him because he didn't have a adult with him and i was the oldest of our friends so i became the adult that authorized it haha
                Looking for JOSH FREEMAN . UFC, Buccaneers, Lakers, and Yankees autos.

Comment

Yeah, I remember there was a game I wanted to buy....i can't remember it now but it was rated M and they wouldn't let me buy it because I was 16 at the time...hmm...I think it's a somewhat good idea...but kids under 18 are still going to get and play the games anyways.
                  Here is who/what I collect:

Basketball:Carmelo Anthony & Jared Dudley And ANY CURRENT CELTICS!
                  Baseball: Current Yankees. Football: Earl Thomas & Torrey Smith

BUCKET: http://s870.photobucket.com/albums/ab270/stephj32/

Comment

uh... how about PARENTS read the freaking label !!!!!!!!!

MA-18 NOT SUITABLE FOR KIDS UNDER 18

STOP BUYING THEM FOR YOUR 6 years olds...... idiots...

Comment

they'll do whatever it takes to not hear their children cry. it is a sad thing to see when a child under 12 knows more about violent games than most teenagers hahaa
                      Looking for JOSH FREEMAN . UFC, Buccaneers, Lakers, and Yankees autos.

Comment

Working...
                      X