Done with Retail!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Done with Retail!!

After two bad experiences yesterday, I'm done with retail. The value is just not there for me-along with the hassle.

I was off work early and decided and I would try and score some 2011 Bowman and Series 2 Topps. Went to my local Wal Mart first, looking to spend about 70 bucks. What I hate about WalMart is not their prices or variety-its their card aisle placement. It is right beside Register 13 which is always open! The only way I can even look at the cards is if no one is in the line or if I wait in the line and then its a hassle to everyone behind me as I try to quickly ascertain what they have! I'm done with you Wal Mart.

Nothing new yesterday-couldn't get close to the cards. So I left. 25 minutes further down the road to Target I go....

Target's placement is great and their variety usually is as well. Not last night. They did have Series 2 blasters and racks. No WWE Champions, No Rising Rookies, No 2011 Bowman. Very disappointed. I decide to go for two racks of Series II and two blasters of Series II. 8 Packs of Topps Magic Football from the markdown box later. $67 bucks. I pay my tab and exit. The EAS at the door goes off and I know how that works. Something had a tag and didn't get deactivated. So I stop and wait, my cashier says just go ahead, so I head for my truck. About twenty paces into the parking lot I hear shouting. Stop, stop now or i'm calling the police. Overzealous store manager. After a few minutes its all sorted out but my god what a pain in the bleep.

To boot, Got no hits. 1 #'d Gold Card. Only 2 Diamond Giveaway Cards.

I'm done with retail card buying-peace out.

More...
    Arizona Cardinals Autos
    Alabama Crimson Tide Autos
    Wrestling Autos
    Wrestling Relics

Yeah I never liked buying retail at all. Too many pack searchers and most of the time you dont get that many good hit cards.

Sorry to here about that. The Target near where I live are full of idiots too. LOL!

Comment

I always tell myself I won't buy anymore, and then I do. I just can't help myself sometimes when it comes to busting packs. I have an addiction.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
      Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
      Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
      MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
      NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
      NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
      NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
      I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

That is sucky. At the Wal-Mart I work at that register is hardly ever open. I get a pack or two every once in a while from there. Target seems to have a better variety in my town. The cards are always picked over and we only get new stuff every few weeks. But I have no card shops within a 30 mile radius of my house. So retail is the way to go, unless I order from online. Sometimes I wish I had the capital to open my own card shop.
        I collect
        All players who played for the Bulls/Spurs plus

Bulls PC 5131 of 32,841 (15.6%)
        Spurs PC 3319 of 22,829 (14.5%)

Comment

retail is a pain, but its always there for a quick fix, whether it be a blaster or just a few packs...Yesterday I was there with the kids, found a great deal on a clearance above ground swimming pool 12 ft x 30 inch metal frame pool, normally $130 (and still $130 on amazon) on clearance for $33...anyway, bought that and went looking at the cards...ended up buying something for each kid and not myself....

Star Wars Dog Tags......man were they excited, they haven't taken them off since
          Not looking for anything specific, just whatever catches my eye, but I am partial to Chicago Cubs, David Wright, Jim Palmer, Miguel Cabrera, and Yao Ming

My Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by Dacubs? View Post
            retail is a pain, but its always there for a quick fix, whether it be a blaster or just a few packs...Yesterday I was there with the kids, found a great deal on a clearance above ground swimming pool 12 ft x 30 inch metal frame pool, normally $130 (and still $130 on amazon) on clearance for $33...anyway, bought that and went looking at the cards...ended up buying something for each kid and not myself....

Star Wars Dog Tags......man were they excited, they haven't taken them off since
            Well of course you didn't buy any. If you did you would have to take off your Justin Bieber one
            Working on 2007 SPx Baseball Rookies Sub Set

Needs
            104,105,106,107,110,111,117,118,119,120,122,124,12 5,127,128,129,131,132,133,134,135,137,139,140,143, 145,146

Comment

retail does suck, i only buy boxes now at my local hobby shop. the other hobby shop guy in town was selling retail stuff
              Looking for JOSH FREEMAN . UFC, Buccaneers, Lakers, and Yankees autos.

Comment

People act surprised not to get anything from retail. There is a reason it is so cheap. The main purpose of retail packs/boxes is to get kids started into the hobby.
                WHY N0T?

Comment

unfortunately some people cant afford a 80 dollar box of cards so we get stuck going to walmart or target. it sucks that the good cards are so expensive

Comment

I do agree with you there. But if you take the money from trips to retail and save it for hobby boxes instead, you are better off. You may not get to bust as much, but the odds would be better in your favor.

The average retail blaster probably costs about $20. Usually you can get a good hobby box anywhere from $80 to $120. So about every 4 to 6 blaster, could be 1 hobby box instead.
                    WHY N0T?

Comment

Originally posted by CmWYNNE3 View Post
                      I do agree with you there. But if you take the money from trips to retail and save it for hobby boxes instead, you are better off. You may not get to bust as much, but the odds would be better in your favor.

The average retail blaster probably costs about $20. Usually you can get a good hobby box anywhere from $80 to $120. So about every 4 to 6 blaster, could be 1 hobby box instead.
                      those are my thoughts exactly. might have to wait a while longer to bust some packs but the payoff is way better.
                      Looking for JOSH FREEMAN . UFC, Buccaneers, Lakers, and Yankees autos.

Comment

Working...
                      X