Fake Cards---Join the topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake Cards---Join the topic

Since recently joining several card forums, after just being a show/store/ebay buyer, I've noticed all these talks about fake patches/logomens and what not. I read an article a while back that said there are even fake vintage cards as well. I only have a handful of cards worth over $100 so I've never been to worried that I might have a fake card.

Basically I just wanted to get an informative conversation going on the topic.

Do you think card faking occurs a lot or in seldom cases?
    Is it mostly just patch and logomen cards getting faked?

If I have a large collection say 200,000+ cards do you think it's highly likely that at some point in time I've bought a fake card?

How do you distinguish between a real and fake card?
    What are tips for telling the difference?

Etc etc basically anything on the topic feel free to discuss. I'm interested in learning as a collector and feel that it would be a useful topic to us all no matter what we collect.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!
    Collecting (1)Georgia-Braves, Hawks, Falcons, Bulldogs, Jackets (2)Triple Threads (3)Multi jersey/patch/auto cards (4) Booklets (5)Tools of the Trade (6)patch autos (7)titanic threads (8)Museum collections (9)1/1's (10)Topps Marquee (11) Jumbo bat cards (12) Nice Patch cards.http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/...ucketofphotos/

this is a good topic.... I dont like when it turns into one guy bashing anothers auto/patch or w/e but kept civil, this is an excellent topic.

I am like you in that I have seen a ton of cards people proclaimed as fake. I have gotten to the point where I worry if the card is sooooooooo great looking, that it has to be fake. I saw a Chris Johnson SP Auth rc/patch auto that was so awesome looking I was worried about its legitimacy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-UD-SP-AUTH-...item3358a37401

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-UD-SP-AUTH-...item3358af6091

both links are for CJ sp authentic patch/autos.... I just noticed the more recent one... those patches are so awesome I would actually worry and they are both owned by the same guy...

Comment

So your claiming that they could possibly be fakes because 1.) there both from the same guy which is a red flag and 2.) the patches are to good too be true (because they're logo patches?)

My thought is though when making a patch card at some point in time wouldn't pieces like those have to be cut in placed in one or more of the cards?

This is the problem I am having is distinguishing what may be fake or not.
      Of course in my case it wouldn't matter often because I never pay more than $10-$15 for a card but if it's also vintage and other cards being faked then it's something we all have to worry and be concerned about because it effects us dramatically as collectors.
      Collecting (1)Georgia-Braves, Hawks, Falcons, Bulldogs, Jackets (2)Triple Threads (3)Multi jersey/patch/auto cards (4) Booklets (5)Tools of the Trade (6)patch autos (7)titanic threads (8)Museum collections (9)1/1's (10)Topps Marquee (11) Jumbo bat cards (12) Nice Patch cards.http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/...ucketofphotos/

Comment

They could both 100% be real.....but the odds of the same seller having two Chris Johnson SPA logo patches are pretty rare.

But to answer your question, yes, those patches WERE put into the product, and onto a few of his SPA's. The only way you know if it's fake or not is if you've seen the same serialized numbered card before, and it had another patch on it.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
        Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
        Johnson/Mears/
        Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

I actually bought an Adrian Peterson 3-4 clr patch and another member pointed it out to me that it was fake.

I asked the seller for a refund because the patch was fake

Turns out, he didn't know it was fake either, and had bought it from antoher seller that was fake...

That's the only experience that I've had with fake cards...I just normally can't afford them so I don't have a problem with them.
          sigpic

Comment

i never really deal with fakes as i usually cannot afford nice looking patches like them.
            Looking for Stephen Curry, Jonas Jerebko, Chad Jenkins, Lions Rookies, Tigers, Pistons
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pistonsfan9826 View Post
              i never really deal with fakes as i usually cannot afford nice looking patches like them.
              Same with me
              Bucket l Los Angeles Inspiration l Tradelist
              Collecting GU/Patches/Autos:
              Dodgers, UCLA, Mexico, Adrian Gonzalez, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant,
              Joe Johnson, Toney Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Ryan

Comment

Working...
              X