Is it worth buying boxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth buying boxes?

So, I'm currently debating whether to buy some of Blowout cards products that are on sale.

My issue is is that I hate paying $30-$50 for a box (as I refuse to pay anymore) and end up getting a bunch of cards I could of spent half that much on to get.

So are boxes worth buying or is the better deal spent on a lot where you know what your getting? Especially if you typically buy by book value?

I know boxes are usually bought based on potential and chance.

Just thought I might get another topic going this day after Christmas.
    Collecting (1)Georgia-Braves, Hawks, Falcons, Bulldogs, Jackets (2)Triple Threads (3)Multi jersey/patch/auto cards (4) Booklets (5)Tools of the Trade (6)patch autos (7)titanic threads (8)Museum collections (9)1/1's (10)Topps Marquee (11) Jumbo bat cards (12) Nice Patch cards.http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/...ucketofphotos/

It depends, if your looking to just get the hit that will make you money, then you'll be disappointed.

But if you like the set and it doesn't matter what you pulled, go for it.

Personally, i just buy singles off of ebay to add to my PC.
    Bucket l Los Angeles Inspiration l Tradelist
    Collecting GU/Patches/Autos:
    Dodgers, UCLA, Mexico, Adrian Gonzalez, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant,
    Joe Johnson, Toney Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Ryan

Comment

What Jesse said could be true, but its all luck, ask around, i have great luck when i open boxes, i'd say most the time i bust boxes i make more than my money back

Comment

I don't think that there are many good cards out there for $30-$50 products...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sports Collector View Post
          I don't think that there are many good cards out there for $30-$50 products...
          I agree, the best bet is Upper Deck Heroes for that price range, also i remember 06 UD Future Stars use to be in that range, that is pretty hit or miss though

Comment

It all depends, its a crap shoot on boxes that cheap. I paid $40 for a 09-10 Panini Hobby Box and didnt pull anything exciting. Most previous years Topps boxes in that price range didnt really get me a huge hit either.

Comment

it just depends now days, if you like the cards in it fine but if you want cards that you would like that you know you will get its worth it to buy singles.
              Looking for Stephen Curry, Jonas Jerebko, Chad Jenkins, Lions Rookies, Tigers, Pistons
              sigpic

Comment

It's what we all live for. The possibilty of pulling THE BIG card. It's a form of gambling. Very few times do you ever get your money back when you bust a box. However, when boxes are discounted, you can easily do that. If you buy a box in the $30-40 range, look at all the $5-10 RC's that you will get. I remember when it was hard to find some Topps Chrome Basketball. I was in a shop that had some and bought 2 packs. In the first one was a Black Border LeBron RC - $300. Not bad for a $8 investment.

Dan

Comment

If you are paying discounted prices, then go for the boxes...you still may get disappointed, but you have the POTENTIAL to get lucky and grab a very nice hit. If its a new release and you are paying full MSRP, go for singles
                  Not looking for anything specific, just whatever catches my eye, but I am partial to Chicago Cubs, David Wright, Jim Palmer, Miguel Cabrera, and Yao Ming

My Bucket

Comment

As far as buying the discounted boxes most of them are only $2-5 off so is it really that big of a deal?

And if you were to spend $30-$50 would it be better spent on a box where the average return in bookvalue may be what $80?-$120? roughly , correct me if I'm wrong

Or you can spend that $30-$50 and get a few hundred dollars in returning book value garunteed

Which sounds more logical to you guys?

I love busting boxes/packs but lately they just don't seem worth the pay no matter what they are or how much they cost.

And i've pulled some great cards. From an 03 topps retail from walmart for $20 I pulled a Record Breakers Dan Marino autograph bv $350 and from a 06? topps retail from walmart $20 I pulled a rookie autograph of David Wright bv $60

Lately it just seems better to spend $40-$50 on a 25-30 $1 or so GU which gets you $200+ in bv versus $40 on a hobby box where you get one autograph worth $15 a relic worth $12 and then a bunch of commons and handful of $1-5 cards.

For the thrill and excitement I think boxes are better but for the dollar paid I think singles or lots of cards are a better investment.
                    Collecting (1)Georgia-Braves, Hawks, Falcons, Bulldogs, Jackets (2)Triple Threads (3)Multi jersey/patch/auto cards (4) Booklets (5)Tools of the Trade (6)patch autos (7)titanic threads (8)Museum collections (9)1/1's (10)Topps Marquee (11) Jumbo bat cards (12) Nice Patch cards.http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/...ucketofphotos/

Comment

How true.

Right now I'm so broke I can't afford the down payment on a free beer, so I go after singles. I know what I'm getting and not spending a lot. I just won't be that thrill seeker for now.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X