X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkin Tetris

Pumpkin Tetris is no trick, all treat | Games Blog - Yahoo! Games

That is pretty cool. LOL!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8PCp5xk-9Qo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nothing brings out the creativity like Halloween. People go crazy with costumes, haunted houses, and, in the case of Nathan Pryor, a pumpkin. Pryor, clearly a mad genius, turned his Jack-o'-lantern into a playable version of Tetris.

Let's be clear here. This isn't just a carving that looks like the classic puzzle game. No, no, no. Pryor made something that can actually be played by moving the pumpkin's stem back and forth and up and down. Move the joystick, er, joystem, and the shapes move and rotate.

One may well ask why he'd do such a thing. Near as we can tell, there is no point other than it hadn't yet been done. And the results are pretty amazing. In a blog post, Pryor wrote, "Earlier in the month I was looking through that idea notepad and found 'Make Tetris Pumpkins' from sometime last year. My original plan had been to make forms to shape pumpkins into Tetris pieces as they grew, then stack them together for Halloween. Since Halloween was only a few weeks away and it was too late to start growing pumpkins, I thought, 'Why not make a pumpkin you can play Tetris on instead?'"

It wasn't easy. On his blog, Pryor details the making of the grid, the carving of the pumpkin, the coding of the electronics, and more. The do-it-yourselfer writes that, all things considered, the project turned out great.

He did run into a few glitches, though.

"Maybe a power supply issue," he wrote. "But it's also possible there might be some intermittent shorts that happen when you bury that many electrical connections inside a pumpkin." A hazard of the medium, we suppose.
Working...
X