Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Ebay Rant] Am I charging too much on shipping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Ebay Rant] Am I charging too much on shipping?

I sold some of my stuffs on ebay,
    Shipping and Handling listed as $3 for 1st item and $0.50 each for additional items.
    A buyer won 14 items, the S/H is $9.50.
    After I sent the invoice. he send me messages.

".........I talked to Jane from" Ebay ", and if a person buy's more than one item from a seller, and all items well fit in one envelope, Box, Package, the seller can charge one time,so I can save money, and if a person pays first before asking the seller can always refund the money. thats where in feed back theres communication."

after a while he paid and send me another message.
    "I paid the full price of shipping I'll leave it up to you on what you do!"

What I read is "Refund or you'll have low feedback rating!!!!"

Am I really charging too high for shipping and handling?
    For the $9.50 I charged, $5 is going to the post office, $2 for envelope and toploaders and supplies. The remain $2.50 is not enough to cover ebay and PayPal fee.

I don't know, but I feel ebay is not a good place to sell sportcards anymore......

I collect Utah Jazz players cards and Autographed cards
    I also collects Football, Baseball and movies cards
    Please click my banner to go to my photobucket

Wanted: 09-10 Certified Fabric of the Game of Andrei Kirilenko & Mehmet Okur
    FYI, I live in Hong Kong!

The bottom line is that you stated "$3 for 1st item and $0.50 each for additional items" in your description and the buyer was aware of that at the time of purchase. When I used to sell, I would cut deals on multiple lots if requested, but when the buyer is being ridiculous, it was what it was. The guidelines you set are your personal preference and buyers must follow those rules in order to purchase from you. Charge them the full amount, and if they leave negative feedback, then you still have a chance to tell your side. The buyer should have contacted you first instead of trying a bully tactic in order to bypass a shipping charge. I do agree that Ebay is not as user friendly as it was in its beginnings, but that's what a billion dollars a year does to you.......

Comment

The easy way to determine what is good/not good is to look at from the position of the buyer. If you were the buyer would $9.50 for the shipping of 14 items seem fair to you ? Also, is it the responsibility of the buyer to pay your ebay/paypal fees ? Again, think about this from the buyers side. If you're comfortable with what you're doing DO IT. If you're not comfortable CHANGE IT. After all, you're the one that has to be comfortable with the final decision.

Have a good day.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
      Baseball HOFers Autos I need
      Orioles Autos I need
      Baseball HOFers GU I need
      Orioles GU I need
      Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
      However other offers will be considered

Comment

From the standpoint of a buyer, if I think the S/H is not fair, I wouldn't bid on it. Not using "bullying tactic" after I won. I totally agree it's not the responsibility for the buyer to pay for the fees.

Originally posted by OriolesFan View Post
        The easy way to determine what is good/not good is to look at from the position of the buyer. If you were the buyer would $9.50 for the shipping of 14 items seem fair to you ? Also, is it the responsibility of the buyer to pay your ebay/paypal fees ? Again, think about this from the buyers side. If you're comfortable with what you're doing DO IT. If you're not comfortable CHANGE IT. After all, you're the one that has to be comfortable with the final decision.

Have a good day.

Comment

If you're the buyer, then you should've done your research and look at the seller's combined shipping policies and what not. If it's unfair, then I don't bid, period. A buyer bidding and winning basically agreed to the terms the seller set. I understand everyone wants to save a dime and nickel, but sheesh.

It's not the responsibility of the buyer to cover fees. It is also not the responsibility of the seller to cover lack of reading comprehension.
          "The good kid from the mad city, holding a cereal box instead of a glock"

Bucket (Not Updated)|Set Needs

Comment

If I bid on something from ebay, I would expect to pay the basic shipping costs. I would expect the seller to be responsible for the plastic cases, envelopes, and ebay fees.
            Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
            Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
            Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

If he didnt read the rules, then tough. EBAY and paypal charge you a lot for fees. You have to make enough to cover those. I wouldnt worry too much about a stupid comment or low rating. Overall 1 low rating wont affect you.

Comment

To actually ship 14 cards costs no more than $2.50 first class.
                sigpic

Collect mainly Red Sox but am open to GU from any team
                I trade by BV or not at all
                http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh518/joshorjoshua/

Comment

Originally posted by joshyr View Post
                  Not necessarily true. Especially if the seller is sending from outside the U.S. . I trade a lot with these guys here, 14 cards in top loaders, in a bubble mailer with DC will set you back more than $2.50. As a matter of fact, I mailed 2 cards in top loaders from Little Rock to Las Vegas last week in a bubble mailer with DC, and that cost me $2.29 for First Class. For good friends, I'll spend the extra $3 and send them Priority Mail in a small flat rate box.

Comment

Domestic of course - I print my labels at home and use recycled mailers because it's green and cheaper - also have a postal scale - to mail a 6 oz package costs $2.15 with free delivery confirmation first class. Best of all no lines at the post office.
                    sigpic

Comment

$2.50......thin base cards with no toploaders in a PWE....maybe.....

Originally posted by joshyr View Post

Comment

From Hong Kong would cost a lot more but in U.S.A. printing labels at home is a great deal!
                        sigpic

Comment

If I'm planing on buying anything from eBay and think shipping's a little high i always ask if they offer cheaper shipping before bidding. I do believe that the international shipping charges from US to Canada is crazyness and only causing sellers to lose business. The one thing that gets me is when someone in California charges $40.00 shipping and the next guy in Cali charges $10.00 to ship the same product in the same format (is USPS or UPS) i dont believe the seller should lose money on shipping but shouldn't make any either. I just paid $3.00 shipping on 1 card i needed/wanted so $9.50 for 14 items didn't seem bad to me.

Comment

I am of the belief that if you state what your shipping policies are, the buyer has the responsibility if they do not read it. I don't care what EBay says. The buyer is aware of it from the auction description and needs to be accountable. Some people don't combine shipping, and therefore, they would have had to pay 3 bucks shipping per card.

I personally would not buy if the shipping was that high, or I might ask if there is a way to get a discounted rate, but that is certainly your prerogative, and if you state it, then there should be no issue whatsoever.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
                            Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
                            Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
                            MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
                            NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
                            NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
                            NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
                            I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

Maybe try to be patient with his opinion of the shipping cost and try to explain the costs of properly maintaining his cards.. Hopefully he will understand. If not then he agreed to it so you are at no fault

LOOKIN FOR VACCARO CHROME COLOR AUTOS!!!!

FINDERs FEE OFFERED for Red and Gold Autos!!!!( eBay doesn't count)

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/Danduhman113/library/

Comment

Working...
                              X