Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Out Of Business Stores Do You Miss The Most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Out Of Business Stores Do You Miss The Most?

Over the past years, many of our favorite stores have gone out of business due to economic times or competition. What are some of your favorite stores that you miss the most?

I really miss Circuit City. I lived 5 min from one and Black Friday was so much easier to line up at 5 AM when all I had to do was go down the street.

When I was little kid, I use to remember going to Best to get my Transformers toys. That was a pretty cool store back in the day for those of us who are old enough to remember it.

well i miss a baseball card shop a town over from me. and it closed right when i got into baseball cards.
    Looking for Stephen Curry, Jonas Jerebko, Chad Jenkins, Lions Rookies, Tigers, Pistons
    sigpic

Comment

HILLS! I loved Hills.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
      Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
      Johnson/Mears/
      Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

kay bee toys
        Not looking for anything specific, just whatever catches my eye, but I am partial to Chicago Cubs, David Wright, Jim Palmer, Miguel Cabrera, and Yao Ming

My Bucket

Comment

I have many fond memories of KB Toys when I was a little kid. I would get to go there every Fri after school and get to spend my $2 a week allowance on whatever I wanted to. Back then toys would cost $4.99 each, unlike today where everything is like $9.99 each.

I also miss a store called Captron: World of Nintendo. They were huge before EB Games, Gamestop, etc.

Comment

I miss a gas station chain called Git n' Go

They were replaced by Kum and go...how creative haha

That's all I can think of right now...
            sigpic

Comment

On Cue & Sam Goody
              Click My Banner To See My Bucket

Comment

Hmmm lets see I might miss one or two from my childhood...

During the 80s early 90s I worked in a local toystore for 6 years called "Juvenile Sales" they were a DC area store that at their largest in the late 80s had a dozen stores. They started out in the late 60s? Early 70s in a small shop in Wheaton, MD then grew from there. I worked in the Wheaton Store's second location (they outgrew the original location years before) from the summer 0f 86 to the fall of 92. In 92 under new ownership that had had the chain for maybe 2 years, they shifted gears from being in the toy business to switch over to a $1 store chain. Bad move all the way around. The new $1 & $5 store chain didn't last long.

Woolworth

Sears (and being able to order from their catalog in-store) I know they aren't completely gone but they are completely different from what they were.

Spenser's Gifts

Hobby & Arts (a local Hobby store that went out of business around late 80s think it was just one store)
                Hobby stores in general.

Restaurants:
                Howard Johnson's (There might be a few left)
                Hot Shoppes and Hot Shoppes Jr.
                Roy Rogers (there are rumors they are on the way back)
                Ginos (I've heard they might be revived soon also)
                Charcoal House
                Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips
                Burger Chef
                Ponderosa
                Sizzler
                Rustlers Steak House
                Last edited by CaptKirk42; 03-09-2010, 11:43 AM.
                I collect Redskins, Rams, Captials, Nationals, Washington Senators (Old Baseball not the Canadian Hockey team), Orioles, Bullets/Wizards, Non-Sport, Autos and HOFers. Also 1983 NFL Huddles mascot figures (2" PVC)

Master Want List / CaptKirk42 Card Blog / Curly W Cards Blog

sigpic
                #d 40/50

Comment

I miss Goody's. I used to go there and do Christmas shopping. I also miss a local card shop and Kay Bee stores also.

Comment

OH also a record store chain called "Kemp Mill Records"
                    Peaches records
                    Tower
                    Heck almost any "record" store chain

Seeing Michellann's "Goody's" and a local card shop" made me think of a Hallmark card shop called "Jams" which was in the Kemp Mill Shopping Center in Wheaton, MD which gave the record store it's name.
                    I collect Redskins, Rams, Captials, Nationals, Washington Senators (Old Baseball not the Canadian Hockey team), Orioles, Bullets/Wizards, Non-Sport, Autos and HOFers. Also 1983 NFL Huddles mascot figures (2" PVC)

Master Want List / CaptKirk42 Card Blog / Curly W Cards Blog

sigpic
                    #d 40/50

Comment

Originally posted by CaptKirk42 View Post
                      Hmmm lets see I might miss one or two from my childhood...

During the 80s early 90s I worked in a local toystore for 6 years called "Juvenile Sales" they were a DC area store that at their largest in the late 80s had a dozen stores. They started out in the late 60s? Early 70s in a small shop in Wheaton, MD then grew from there. I worked in the Wheaton Store's second location (they outgrew the original location years before) from the summer 0f 86 to the fall of 92. In 92 under new ownership that had had the chain for maybe 2 years, they shifted gears from being in the toy business to switch over to a $1 store chain. Bad move all the way around. The new $1 & $5 store chain didn't last long.

Woolworth

Sears (and being able to order from their catalog in-store) I know they aren't completely gone but they are completely different from what they were.

Spenser's Gifts

Hobby & Arts (a local Hobby store that went out of business around late 80s think it was just one store)
                      Hobby stores in general.

Restaurants:
                      Howard Johnson's (There might be a few left)
                      Hot Shoppes and Hot Shoppes Jr.
                      Roy Rogers (there are rumors they are on the way back)
                      Ginos (I've heard they might be revived soon also)
                      Charcoal House
                      Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips
                      Burger Chef
                      Ponderosa
                      Sizzler
                      Rustlers Steak House
                      we have Spencers Gift's like an hr away(which i drive alot,just a better town,alot more to do) but it is prolly on my top 5 fav stores

Comment

we have a pondarosa here in morehead,which im fat,so i eat at alot lol

Comment

arthur treachers

Great Traders:cardjim,TomR,avsbruins65,Leafsfan1967,ty4o rce,bumpersample,NattyBoo,fatfrank,DoubleD

MY EBAY: http://shop.ebay.com/chefmc/m.html?_...&_trksid=p3686

Comment

Working...
                          X