Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teenager Buys Photo Of XBox One For $750

Yahoo News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines

A dad-of-one who spent £450 on an XBox One for his son's Christmas present was devastated after falling victim to an eBay scam where he got a PHOTO of the console instead.

Peter Clatworthy, 19, thought he had landed a bargain when he purchased the much sought-after games console online on November 28.

He spent a year saving up the cash in order to buy a limited edition version of the games system for four-year-old son McKenzie.

But he was stunned when a grainy photograph of an XBox printed on A4 paper landed through his letterbox on Monday.

To add insult to injury on the back of the picture, the callous seller wrote 'thank you for your purchase'.

After checking the listing on the eBay website Peter soon realised he had fallen victim to a cruel con.

The misleading ad listed under the 'video games and consoles' category stated the item as 'XBox One Fifa Day One Edition, Photo Brand New UK 2012' next to an image of the console.

The online blunder means little McKenzie is likely to be left disappointed this Christmas as the Xbox One has since sold out in the UK.

Yesterday Peter, from Bilborough, Notts, fumed: 'I'm absolutely gutted.

'I was so happy at first when I got the Xbox One, especially because my son had been asking about it and I knew I had got it for him.

Man who paid $750 for photo of Xbox One gets free system - GameSpot

19-year old Peter Clatworthy paid $750 through the auction site in November for what he thought was an Xbox One. Instead, he received only a photo of the system. The system was intended as a Christmas gift for his four-year-old son.

"I'm just overwhelmed by the reaction to the story," Clatworthy said. "All I wanted was a refund. I cannot believe this."

In addition to the Xbox One, he also received the refund he sought thanks to PayPal's buyer protection guidelines.

The Xbox One launched on November 22 and sold more than 1 million systems during its first day.

Comment

that's awesome...I hate scammers...special place in hades for these ppl
      BreesFan1977's Library | Photobucket

Comment

What's even more disturbing besides the fact that he can't read....is that he's 19 years old and has a 4 year old son. The UK must have a welfare system like the U.S. has. Never any doubt that PayPal would refund his money then go after the scammer. So he gets his money plus a free system...so who was the real scammer here?

Comment

Originally posted by jwgreen68 View Post
          What's even more disturbing besides the fact that he can't read....is that he's 19 years old and has a 4 year old son. The UK must have a welfare system like the U.S. has. Never any doubt that PayPal would refund his money then go after the scammer. So he gets his money plus a free system...so who was the real scammer here?

So the item description
          stated the item as ''XBox One Fifa Day One Edition, Photo" Brand New UK 2012' next to an image of the console

Jerry please tell me that it isn't misleading, the seller based on that vague description was trying to scam people, granted he (the buyer) should have paid better attention.

And where do you get that he (the buyer) was/is on "welfare" ? You really shouldn't assume.

Have you ever been on it? I was in 92-93 and it sure wasn't a payday for me back then.

Roy
          Still collecting Frank Thomas in any uni and HoFer G/U & Auto's.

I do not trade nor buy at "eBay values", unless a card is so rare that it is unlisted.

Comment

Misleading? Yes. He should have read more carefully.

Nope, never needed welfare. There's legitimate people that do need a helping hand, but more times than not, the system is just being scammed. At 15 years old, you should be balling, but on a basketball court, not in the back seat of your daddy's mini cooper. I'm certain labor laws in the UK are similar to those here, so I don't see a 14-15 year old boy working a full time job to support a baby. But he got what he wanted, an Xbox One and didn't have to pay a dime for it. And show me a 4 year old that wants/asks for an Xbox. That system was for the daddy. It just sounds better if someone rips off a 4 year old ten a 19 year old.

Assumption has nothing to do with it. Opinion does. I'm entitled to that. And I didn't flame any CCW member either giving it.

Comment

I agree that getting the money back should have been enough Gamestop decided to send him one.

Who cares,its not my money nor yours.

You can call it your opinion but I still feel that you are assuming that he is on welfare because you have nothing whatsoever to back that up with.

What does this have to do with anything? >""And I didn't flame any CCW member either giving it"". Nobody said that you did, there you go assuming things again.

I hope you never get to the point of needing welfare because it stinks.

We are just having a discussion about a story nothing more with differing views, no biggie.
              Still collecting Frank Thomas in any uni and HoFer G/U & Auto's.

I do not trade nor buy at "eBay values", unless a card is so rare that it is unlisted.

Comment

Working...
              X