Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robin Williams Found Dead At Age 63

Robin Williams Dies at 63 - IGN

By Lucy O'Brien→Actor Robin Williams was found dead at his home on Monday. He was 63.

According to a press release issued by the Marin County Coronor’s office, the cause of death is believed to be suicide via asphyxiation.

Williams' publicist Mara Buxbaum has issued the following statement:

"Robin Williams passed away this morning, He has been battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time.”

Williams leaves behind his wife, Susan Schneider, and three children, Zelda Rae Williams, Cody Alan Williams, and Zachary Pym Williams.

"This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend," said Schneider. "While the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings. I am utterly heartbroken. On behalf of Robin's family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin's death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions.”

Williams was a four-time Oscar nominee, and won the Supporting Actor award in 1998 for his role as Dr. Sean Maguire in Good Will Hunting. He will next be seen in Fox's third Night at the Museum film in cinemas this December.

“There really are no words to describe the loss of Robin Williams," a statement from the studio reads. "He was immensely talented, a cherished member of our community, and part of the Fox family. Our hearts go out to his family, friends and fans. He will be deeply missed.”

Williams began his career as a stand-up comic with a wicked flair for improvisation. He came to wide public attention in the '70 as the extra-terrestrial Mork in the comedy Mork and Mindy, and made the jump to the big screen in the '80s, where he proved his skill at biting comedy (Good Morning Vietnam, for which he received his first Academy Award nomination) and drama (Dead Poet's Society, for which he received his second) in turn.

During the '90s, Williams delighted adult audiences as the flamboyant Armand Goldman in 1996's The Birdcage, while cementing himself as a family favourite the world over with roles in kid classics Hook (1991), Aladdin (1992), Mrs. Doubtfire (1993), and Jumunji (1995). The dramatic roles kept coming, with Williams delivering powerful performances in Awakenings (1990), The Fisher King (1991) and What Dreams May Come (1998).

In 1998, Williams won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his stirring - and remarkably subtle - performance in Good Will Hunting.

During the 2000s, Williams showed the world he had a dark side, as the creepy yet hopelessly alone Seymour "Sy" Parrish in One Hour Photo (2002) and villainous Walter Finch in Christopher Nolan's Insomnia (2002.) His roles throughout the mid-to-late 2000s were eclectic, (Night at the Museum (2006), Happy Feet (2006) and World's Greatest Dad (2009) were perhaps the most prolific), and he made a welcome return to our TV screens opposite Sarah Michelle Geller in last year's David E. Kelley sitcom, The Crazy Ones.

It was reported in April that Williams was signed on to reprise the eponymous role in the sequel to 1993's Mrs. Doubtfire, directed by Chris Colombus.

Williams actively supported a number of charities and causes throughout his lifetime, including Comic Relief, Red Cross, the rebuilding of Christchurch after 2010's earthquake, and the St Jude Children's Research Hospital.

He will be greatly missed by all of us, young and old.

R.I.P. Mork.

Comment

Working...
    X