Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel Cancels Fantastic Four Comic

NYCC: Marvel Cancels Fantastic Four Comic - IGN

Here's a depressing way to wrap up NYCC. Rumors have been growing in recent months that Marvel will be canceling their Fantastic Four comic soon. Those rumors were backed up last week by the emergence of a solicitation for the fourth and apparently final hardcover collection for the current FF comic. Marvel confirmed the cancellation today at their "Axel-in-Charge" panel at NYCC. Fantastic Four will indeed be ending in spring 2015.

Robinson's final story will be called "The End is Fourever." And it seems that the series will be bucking the current trend and reverting to its old numbering in the build-up to the finale. Fantastic Four will end with issue #645.

The solicit for the End is Fourever hardcover reads:

THE END IS FOUREVER! Witness the closing act on the First Family of the Marvel Universe! THE INVADERS meet the FANTASTIC FOUR as the hunt for REED RICHARDS and the missing kids of the FUTURE FOUNDATION continues. Meanwhile the mastermind behind everything unveils his ultimate plan. But how does FRANKLIN RICHARDS factor in? And how does this all lead to…The END?! Collecting FANTASTIC FOUR #642-644 and the Triple Sized Final Issue 645!

At the panel, Robinson only said that the series is "going away for a little while." The specific reason for the cancellation wasn't given, but both Bleeding Cool and Comic Book Resources have reported that ongoing disputes between Marvel and 20th Century Fox over the franchise's film rights are a motivating factor. Unfortunately, recent sales figures for the comic probably played a part, too.

It remains to be seen how long this FF hiatus will last. Hopefully the appearance of Invisible Woman in Avengers #35 last month means Marvel will continue to use the characters in other comics.

Fox's Fantastic Four reboot is scheduled for release on August 7, 2015.

The Fantastic Four was my favorite comic when I was growing up and I still have most of them packed away in a closet.
    Still collecting Frank Thomas in any uni and HoFer G/U & Auto's.

I do not trade nor buy at "eBay values", unless a card is so rare that it is unlisted.

Comment

Working...
    X