Be careful what you ask for......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be careful what you ask for......

As Christmas came along in the Cornwell household I was asked by my gainfully employed children what would Dad like for Christmas this year, I dutifully answered,"Save your money, I don't need anything." Then after more questioning i came back with the old, "I'll take a gift certificate to a restaurant."
    Then I got the, "Dad you always get that, give us something that you really want that you would never get for yourself!" So, I pondered and thought and blurted out, "I want a box of Topps Tier One Baseball!" Now this is a product that is out of my price range and I would never buy for myself, but as I thought about it, I started feeling guilty and repeatedly told my Kids I would just like a cheap baseball hobby box and in no way get me what i originally asked for.
    In the meantime I hit D&A's card world on Black Friday and bought my kids their usual hobby box of cards and found them each a nice 40 dollar box of Americana with three hits each,(2 autos and one relic).
    So, Christmas day comes and we all gather round and exchange presents and lo and behold, the Rugrats have gone way out and purchased me a box of Tier One.
    After the room was cleaned of packaging we gathered round and each opened our hobby boxes. Too make a long story longer, the hits in my Tier one (the 100 plus box of three cards) were rather unimpressive but my son pulled a KATHRYN THORNTON Astronaut auto 2/7 out of his 40 dollar box and on a recently ended ebay auction pulled in an impressive 163.50!
    To say the least, I'm glad I got my wishlist box but I know now that price does not equal value and I will be sticking to the value boxes from now on. By the way, my son didn't even share the good fortune with his poor Father. Now I know what Harry Chapin meant when he said, " He'd grown up just like me,yeah,my boy was just like me!!!"
Working...
X