Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You Were a Billionaire for Five Hours

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...for-five-hours

When Paul Fischer checked his bank account Friday night, he had a happy surprise. His balance had exploded to $88,888,888,888.88. A very lucky number indeed, and close to $89 billion.

Of course, the balance was a technical error by SunTrust Bank (NYSE: STI - News), which quickly fixed the problem. It also may have occurred in other accounts.

"You say, 'Eighty-eight billion, what can I do with that?'" said Mr. Fischer, who owns a jewelry concessionaire for Florida theme parks. "Maybe a handful of us could have brought down SunTrust Bank."

Mr. Fischer had other ideas as well. Before the problem was fixed, he asked a SunTrust rep if he could move the money to an interest-bearing account until it was reclaimed and donate the interest to charity. Total interest: more than $7.3 million.

The bank said no.

The money was stripped out of his account by Saturday morning.

"It's all gone. I'm poor again," he said. "I was a billionaire for five hours."

This kind of bank error happens frequently. But Mr. Fischer raises an interesting question: What if, for five hours, you truly did have $89 billion?

What would you do with the money? The ground rules are that you would have to give the money back — and whatever you bought or invested with it — after five hours.
    Click My Banner To See My Bucket
    Click My Banner To See My Bucket

I understand why the bank said no in regards to donating the interest to charity. It was a nice notion, but the bank would be paying $7.3 million for nothing essentially since it was a bank error.

Comment

I wonder if I made an error on my mortgage,lets say under paid by $50 and the due date was missed by 5 hours (but I paid the $50 right away at the 5 hr mark),would they acknowledge that it was a brain error on my part and not charge me anything?

I don't think so!!!!!
      Still collecting Frank Thomas in any uni and HoFer G/U & Auto's.

I do not trade nor buy at "eBay values", unless a card is so rare that it is unlisted.

Comment

thats pretty much in a nutshell.... I am not ashamed to admit when I blew out my back... and was on disability.. my wife and I fell behind a house payment. We tried to catch up but its rare that we just have that much extra built up, especially with four kids. We pleaded with the banks to help us out, but all they did was charge us a late fee every month of 200 dollars. Very hard to catch up when you have to pay an extra 200 bucks... plus if they would have dealt with us, our credit rating wouldnt have been thrashed beyond belief.

Comment

i would buy all the sports card sites on the web, combine them into 1, with less rules, more fun amd less BS
          My Site
          http://www.freewebs.com/randallcardssite/

Comment

I'd pull all the money out of the bank before they realized the bank error

Comment

I'd buy the Indiana Pacers and fire Jim OBrien and Larry Bird

Collecting Ken Dilger, Indiana Hoosiers autos, and Indianapolis Colts Rookies
              Colts Rookie Collection: 408 Different Players
              Ken Dilger Collection: 261/445 (58.6%)

Tradelist
              Colts Rookie Collection
              Ken Dilger Collection

Comment

Originally posted by gladdyontherise View Post
                I'd pull all the money out of the bank before they realized the bank error
                pretty sure a 17-18 year old kid would look suspicious walking down the street with 89 Billion lol
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sports Collector View Post
                  pretty sure a 17-18 year old kid would look suspicious walking down the street with 89 Billion lol
                  I have a car

Comment

Originally posted by gladdyontherise View Post
                    I have a car
                    not sure if the teller at the bank is going to just hand you over 89 Billion

sigpic

Comment

I'd apply for a line of credit
                      http://photobucket.com/cards_for_trade_or_sale
                      and my personal auto collection
                      http://photobucket.com/tiger_tiger_cards_PC
                      Autograph cards WANTS: Mike Vernon, Larry Kwong, Bob Cole
                      Wants: GU All star net cards, 72, 76 Future Trends autos.

Comment

Working...
                      X