No announcement yet.

How did you start collecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started in 1952. I remember thinking how terrible the 1952 Topps were and I loved the 1953 Bowman black and white. Then things happened and I quit, probably because in our small town of 1500, cards were hard to come by. In 1976 my daughter got me a box of Hostess Twinkees for my birthday because they had baseball players on it and I got started again, growing today into what may be the largest personal Cub collection going, starting with 1895 and going to present.

Comment

wow- thats an awesome story- id send you all the cubs stuff ive got, but im guessing you have it all already...
      Ed

Comment

Ed,
        Thanks. I have a lot of stuff, mostly cards. My kids are not Cubs fans (Brewers, Packers and Tampa Bay Bucs) so all my stuff will go to auction when the time comes. I still enjoy looking, buying and trading. Along with this I also have sets from about 1981 up with a 1954 (my favorite), 75, 76, 78 and a few others. I enjoy the tobacco cards teh best.

Comment

i agree completely with your assessment of the tobacco cards, they are fantastic. I just finished reading a book called Crazy 08, talking about the 1908 baseball season. A good portion of the book was based on the Cubs, and reading about that team, with Tinker, Evers, Chance, and the others, was absolutely fascinating. Im still hoping to find an authentic card of each of those three guys- what characters and what a cool story
          check the book out, if youve never read it- its fantastic
          E

Comment

Actually my daughter got me that book for my birthday last year. It is a very good book. One interesting thing to me about the tobacco cards is the number of varations there are. I have around 65 Cubs but with 16 different backs and the number of different fronts the list goes on and on. Most of mine are Piedmont or Sweet Caporal, I have never seen a TY Cobb back nor a Broadleaf. The other thing is how many of them are still around.

Comment

yeah, there simply arent that many. ive never actually owned any, although my vintage collection, especially football, is pretty nice. Pre-war stuff seems to be so tough to find, and there are so many fakes out there that I would probably only buy graded versions, to make sure they were legit, and those are pricy, to say the least

Comment

There are a lot of fakes out there and one has to be careful but, if you buy from a reputable dealer, you can do all right. Of course, it makes it that much more pricey. I have been taken on some 1914 Cracker Jack cards that someone went to a lot of trouble to make them appear authentic but that was before I learned to look at the backs more carefully. When one starts collecting it sees to multiply. I also have a lot of old Bears and recently have gone into getting Mighty Mouse:>}

Comment

nice! my current insane collecting goal is a complete run of all topps football sets, from the 51 magic to the present. ive got a lot, but still have a LONG way to go...

Comment

That should be interesting. I gather you are sticking to Topps or, at least, the older sets. I used to do it all but quit in 90 when all the stuff started coming out, the 1 of 1's, etc, and one could not really finish a set, or as they say now, a master set. I kept a few of my football sets, 90 Fleer Update, 89-90 Score, 81-84 Topps and a couple Stadium Club. Last year I took over 300 sets, B/B and F/B to an auction in PA. I also got rid of all my "star" cards, ove 5,000 trying to pare down. Well, must hit the sack, getting late for an old man. Nice chatting with you.

Comment

When I was about 7 or 8, my mom bought some Monkees' cards that I enjoyed putting on my bike wheels. I was 28 when I really got into collecting. My first card was a Ray Knight rookie card.

Comment

Originally posted by MichelleAnn View Post
                        When I was about 7 or 8, my mom bought some Monkees' cards that I enjoyed putting on my bike wheels. I was 28 when I really got into collecting. My first card was a Ray Knight rookie card.
                        Ray Knight now does the Pre-and Post Game shows for the Washington Nationals on the MASN cable station (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) with Johnny Holiday a local DC area broadcast celeb (he does the University of MD basketball and football play-by-plays) I haven't heard of any changes to the team yet, they sometimes make changes during the off-season so when Baseball season starts back up a different announcer is there. For the 2008 season the Color Commentator was Don Sutton, last year Don was gone and Rob Dibble was in his place. I think for 2010 they are keeping the same people for now.
                        http://www.masnsports.com/index_nationals.html
                        I collect Redskins, Rams, Captials, Nationals, Washington Senators (Old Baseball not the Canadian Hockey team), Orioles, Bullets/Wizards, Non-Sport, Autos and HOFers. Also 1983 NFL Huddles mascot figures (2" PVC)

Master Want List / CaptKirk42 Card Blog / Curly W Cards Blog

sigpic
                        #d 40/50

Comment

How I Started Collecting

It started out as almost a joke! Some friends and I were sitting around at work (while it was slow) and decided we would take a run up to a local card store, just to check it out. Well, of course we bought some packs of cards, didn't really get anything good in the packs, but that of course got us hooked! This was about 20 years ago! I am the only one out of the three of us that stuck to collecting and I still love it!
                          Dale.

Originally posted by Dlong1 View Post
                          I ran this once on another site and we really got to know the members.

Share with us the story of how you got into collecting and what it means to you.

Dan

Comment

well i went to cvs to get a sports magizine but ended up getting the sports collectors monthly back when it was just called tuff stuff. i read about ttm autographs and then it just got me into collecting cards and autos.
                            Looking for Stephen Curry, Jonas Jerebko, Chad Jenkins, Lions Rookies, Tigers, Pistons
                            sigpic

Comment

I started collecting in 1965. I lived in Brooklyn, N.Y., at the time, and all the kids in the neighborhood collected and flipped each other for cards. Back then, a pack cost a nickel and a box of 24 packs was $1.20. Can't recall any of my friends ever buying a box, though.

Bob
                              "You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time.'' -- Jim Bouton, from the last sentence of "Ball Four"

Read my sports card and book blogs at: http://bobdangelobooks.weebly.com/the-sports-bookie

My UV wantlist:
                              http://bdangelo.weebly.com/

My vintage wantlist: http://bdangelo1.weebly.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MichelleAnn View Post
                                I actually met Ray Knight at a charity event one time...he's a really good guy
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X