Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to do in Washington DC

Going to DC this summer, wanted to know some cool stuff to do there

Not the obvious stuff, but stuff that's a little bit more "under the radar".

Thanks-
    SC
    sigpic

You have to go to the Zoo (and I don't mean downtown DC). The Washington Zoo is an excellent place.

Do not waste your time going on building tours.....the Capitol, the Pentagon, the White House....they only show you what they think you need to see...(speaking from experience, spent five years stationed at the Pentagon as a Congressional Liason). When I first got to the Pentagon, I went on a tour. Really an impressive tour. The next day I was assigned to an "out house" out the outside corridor.

Get outside of DC (i.e., Manassas Virginia) if you really want to see the sights.
    Randy
    United States Air Force, Retired
    ranbethscards.com

Freedom Is Not Free

From the time of discovery and for the
    balance of life, an individual diagnosed
    with cancer IS a Survivor!

Thank You GOD...I am a Survivor!

Comment

"Manassas Virginia" I agree. The site of the Battles of Bull Run!! Grab a bus and go to Gettysburg if possible! There are also a lot of "haunted" places in Washington to visit.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by ranbethscards View Post
        You have to go to the Zoo (and I don't mean downtown DC). The Washington Zoo is an excellent place.

Do not waste your time going on building tours.....the Capitol, the Pentagon, the White House....they only show you what they think you need to see...(speaking from experience, spent five years stationed at the Pentagon as a Congressional Liason). When I first got to the Pentagon, I went on a tour. Really an impressive tour. The next day I was assigned to an "out house" out the outside corridor.

Get outside of DC (i.e., Manassas Virginia) if you really want to see the sights.
        Probably won't be going to see the Pentagon or the Capitol but I will be seeing the white house.

I'll be doing some buisness stuff in Maryland but I'd love to see the Bull Run stuff and Gettysburg

Originally posted by dlong1 View Post
        "Manassas Virginia" I agree. The site of the Battles of Bull Run!! Grab a bus and go to Gettysburg if possible! There are also a lot of "haunted" places in Washington to visit.

Dan
        How far away is Gettysburg from DC?
        sigpic

Comment

I believe it's an hour or so driving time. It's well worth the visit, but even one day isn't enough for Gettysburg.

Frank could tell you more about Gettysburg and DC. He lived around there.

Dan

Comment

Hmmmm It's going to be a crunch for time...the people I'll be with aren't as interested in the civil war as I am...but maybe

Thanks again-
            SC
            sigpic

Comment

Gettysburg is really great, i was just there this year and it was very good the tour they had around the battle field. I also liked the Washington monument when i went up in it to the top.
              Also where they print the money (i forgot what it was called) is a very good tour
              Looking for Stephen Curry, Jonas Jerebko, Chad Jenkins, Lions Rookies, Tigers, Pistons
              sigpic

Comment

drive to Baltimore and go to the Nationals lol...

watch Strasburg pitch would be a popular thing to do as well

Comment

I agree with what Gladdy said about Strasburg.

Comment

Originally posted by gladdyontherise View Post
                    drive to Baltimore and go to the Nationals lol...

watch Strasburg pitch would be a popular thing to do as well
                    They aren't in town that week

I actually know the Nationals tv guy, so I could meet Strasburg at some point...maybe Harper to if he signs with them.
                    sigpic

Comment

When I took my son to Gettysburg I could find the spot on the tour tape I bought for the Little Round Top/Devils Den area so I gave him a guided tour by myself. That was fun. I would love to be a guide there myself!!

Check out the Smithsonian Museums, they are awesome. If you go at the right time of the year, there are tours of the Fords Theater too.

Dan

Comment

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing is the place pistonsfan9826 was talking about.
                        The Holocaust museum is informative, I'd suggest at least 3 hours there. The Smithsonian has many parts depending on what interests you. "BULL RUN" & FREDERICKSBURG are two close historical sites. The ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY burial place of JFK & WILLIAM HOWARD TAFT, right across from D. C. in Arlington, Va. The Tomb of the UNKNOWN SOLDIER is there also. The National ZOO is nice. If the "NATS" aren't in town go up a few miles and see the "BIRDS". Baltimore's INNER HARBOR is nice. Also in Balt. is the birthplace of the "BABE". There is a lot to see in the D. C. area, and much of it is free. You also have MEMORIALS - JEFFERSON, LINCOLN, WASHINGTON MONUMENT, VIETNAM WAR, etc. There is more than enough to see. A lunch cruise on the "SPIRIT of Mount Vernon" down the POTOMAC RIVER would be nice. Have fun.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
                        Baseball HOFers Autos I need
                        Orioles Autos I need
                        Baseball HOFers GU I need
                        Orioles GU I need
                        Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
                        However other offers will be considered

Comment

I really enjoy the Museum of american history and national history... plus the air and space museum... I love Ford Theatre too

Comment

I enjoyed just walking around and seeing where all my tax money went ...

Its a beautiful place - I just walked around. Being in front of the white house and seeing the stuff that goes on around it was cool too.
                            Teams: Lakers - Bengals - SF Giants - Pacific Tigers
                            Players: Michael Olowokandi - Joe Montana - Tiger -

Comment

walking around is cool too.... there is a lot of action going on in the sidewalks.... I like people watching.. and its definately a pedestrian town

Comment

Working...
                              X