Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ducks Resign Ryan Getzlaf To 8 Year Deal

Y! SPORTS

Ryan Getzlaf figured he couldn't find anything in free agency that he didn't already have with the Anaheim Ducks.

The Ducks re-signed their captain to an eight-year, $66 million contract on Friday, keeping the playmaking center with his only NHL team through the 2020-21 season.

Getzlaf could have been an unrestricted free agent this summer along with Corey Perry, the former NHL MVP and his longtime linemate. Instead, Getzlaf and Ducks general manager Bob Murray agreed to the longest contract extension allowed under the new collective bargaining agreement.

''It's always been my goal to be here,'' Getzlaf told reporters after the morning skate for the Ducks' home game against Calgary. ''I've always envisioned myself playing for one team, especially this organization. It's been great to me. It's nice to be settled in and knowing that I'm going to be here for a long time.''

The 27-year-old Getzlaf has 499 points in 534 games with Anaheim, establishing himself as one of the NHL's top playmakers and the third-leading scorer in Ducks history. He won the Stanley Cup in 2007 and became Anaheim's captain in 2010.

After struggling last year to his lowest-scoring performance in a full NHL season, Getzlaf is in the midst of an outstanding year for the streaking Ducks (16-3-3), who have the NHL's second-best record behind Chicago.
Working...
X