Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dale Earnhardt Jr wrecks during practice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dale Earnhardt Jr wrecks during practice...

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Dale Earnhardt Jr., who won the pole for the Daytona 500 in Pole Day qualifying three days ago, will start in the back on Sunday.

Earnhardt was involved in an accident during practice Wednesday and will go to a backup car. He will start his qualifying race Thursday in the back but cannot improve his position for the Daytona 500.

Since the front row is locked in on Pole Day, Earnhardt can't improve his starting spot in the qualifying race, something every other driver can do except Jeff Gordon, who also earned a front-row spot. The rest the grid positions are set in the two 60-lap qualifying races Thursday.

Earnhardt was running in a two-car tandem Wednesday with teammate Jimmie Johnson when the accident occurred exiting Turn 4. Johnson checked up because three slower cars -- driven by Robby Gordon, David Gilliland and Michael Waltrip -- were veering over in front of him.

When Johnson slowed to avoid hitting them, his car got loose. Earnhardt slowed down and was hit from behind by Martin Truex Jr. Earnhardt and Truex slid down the track and Earnhardt hit the inside retaining wall. The back sheet metal panel of Earnhardt's car was torn off.

Earnhardt said he was hesitant about participating in Wednesday's first practice, which was delayed because of rain.

"I didn't feel good out there in practice today," Earnhardt said. "I just had a bad feeling about it. But we have plenty of race cars. It's never a good thing tearing them up, but we'll be fine."

Terry Blount is a senior writer for ESPN.com.
    Randy
    United States Air Force, Retired
    ranbethscards.com

Freedom Is Not Free

From the time of discovery and for the
    balance of life, an individual diagnosed
    with cancer IS a Survivor!

Thank You GOD...I am a Survivor!

Sucks that he wrecked, but I mean he WAS going to drop back anyways, so other than the car being wrecked its not a big deal he'll start in the back

Comment

A.) How does Robby Gordon still have a NASCAR license? And sponsorship?

B.) JJ changed engines, so watching him and Dale Jr. come from the back together in the 1st Duel tomorrow should be exciting.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
      Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
      Johnson/Mears/
      Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

I need clarification here. So Junior will start at the back on Thursday, but will he automatically start at the back on Sunday, or does he keep the pole spot? Or, does he start on Sunday where he finishes in the 125 race? If he has to start last on Sunday, no matter what, other than drafting practice, and getting the handling right, which could take Jr 10 races to perfect like normal, this race is just a waste of time for them. Is that about summimg it up?

Comment

Originally posted by Leafsfan1967 View Post
          .... this race is just a waste of time for them. Is that about summimg it up?

You summed it up perfectly.

If we are going to watch the two-by-two racing that we saw last week, this is going to be one boring race.
          Randy
          United States Air Force, Retired
          ranbethscards.com

Freedom Is Not Free

From the time of discovery and for the
          balance of life, an individual diagnosed
          with cancer IS a Survivor!

Thank You GOD...I am a Survivor!

Comment

Working...
          X