No announcement yet.

Jimmie Johnson dominates Phoenix, closes in on record 4th straight Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmie Johnson dominates Phoenix, closes in on record 4th straight Championship

AVONDALE, Ariz.(AP)—Jimmie Johnson rebounded from a rare bad race with a dominating victory at Phoenix International Raceway that pushed him to the edge of a NASCAR record fourth consecutive championship.

Johnson led 238 laps Sunday to win for the fourth time in the last five races at Phoenix. It was his seventh victory of the season, and fourth since the start of the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship.

More important, it stretched his lead to 108 points over Hendrick Motorsports teammate Mark Martin heading into the finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Johnson needs to finish 25th or better next week to grab a spot in NASCAR’s record books.

Although his Hendrick team initially celebrated as if the title had been locked up, the No. 48 crew quickly settled down in Victory Lane.

“I can’t put my guard down,” Johnson said, “anything and everything can go wrong.”

It did a week ago in Texas, where Johnson was caught in a wreck three laps into the race and had to sit inside his disabled race car as his crew did a total rebuild of the Chevrolet. He limped to a 38th-place finish that cost him 111 points in the standings.

It still left him with a 73-point lead over Martin headed into Phoenix, but Johnson refused to play it safe and coast to the win. He raced hard all weekend, intent on bouncing back with a dominating showing in the desert.

“We could have easily been beat down, and certainly there were some dark moments over the past week thinking about the points lost,” Johnson said. “We didn’t, though. But we saw in Texas that anything can happen, so we don’t need to get too excited about this.”

Martin finished fourth, respectable but not the showing he needed to move closer to the championship that has eluded him his entire NASCAR career. The sentimental favorite this year will likely finish second in the final standings for a fifth time.

“We gave it everything we had,” Martin said.

He’s the only driver still in mathematical contention to catch Johnson. Fellow Hendrick driver Jeff Gordon will be eliminated as soon as Johnson starts next Sunday’s race, and Johnson’s win at Phoenix knocked everyone else out of contention.

Jeff Burton finished second and was followed by Denny Hamlin, Martin and pole-sitter Martin Truex Jr.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;...v=st&type=lgns

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
    Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
    Johnson/Mears/
    Reutimann/Nadeau

WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great bounceback day for the 48 team!

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
    Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
    Johnson/Mears/
    Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Congrats to Jimmie... i watched the last 5 laps.
      Bucket l Los Angeles Inspiration l Tradelist
      Collecting GU/Patches/Autos:
      Dodgers, UCLA, Mexico, Adrian Gonzalez, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant,
      Joe Johnson, Toney Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Ryan

Comment

I'm kinda hoping that Mark Martin pulls off the upset...but those two are basically my second and third favorite drivers (tied).
        sigpic

Comment

I've selected these three to take the chase since the beginning....

1st - Jimmie Johnson
          2nd - Jeff Gordon
          3rd - Kurt Busch

I was hoping for a Mark Martin slip up today to help nail my prediction (as I'm trying to win a contest with this guess) lol. They are currently....

1st - Jimmie Johnson
          2nd - Mark Martin
          3rd - Jeff Gordon
          4th - Kurt Busch

I'm leading the other contest by a landslide though YUSSSS!!!!
          TRADING FOR

Ken Griffey Jr.

Raiders and Dolphins from 2012-2020
          A's and Reds from 2012-2020

Comment

Working...
          X