Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edwards still indecisive about future

NASCAR.com:

LEBANON, Tenn. -- Carl Edwards is aware of the ramped-up speculation that he may be leaving Roush Fenway Racing at the end of this season to drive for Joe Gibbs Racing.

He also is growing used to -- if a little weary -- of being asked about his future at every stop he makes in NASCAR. The fact is, he said Friday at Nashville Superspeedway, he still has not made up his mind about what he's going to do regarding his unsettled contract situation.

"I guess some people have things more figured out than I do," Edwards said. "But that's just part of it."

Edwards was at the Nashville facility Friday to prepare for Saturday night's Federated Auto Parts 300 in the Nationwide Series. He said he is aware of reports on Twitter and elsewhere that recently have indicated he's on the brink of leaving RFR, where he has spent his entire career, for a ride at JGR.

"I don't read that stuff. But people come tell me about it," Edwards said.

Edwards is on the final leg of a three-year contract extension he signed with RFR in May of 2008. On one hand, he has repeatedly said how grateful he is to owner Jack Roush for the breaks the car owner gave him at the beginning and throughout his NASCAR career. But on the other, he has not denied that JGR has made serious overtures about having him come on board.

When it was suggested Friday that he has all the leverage, Edwards shook his head.

"I don't think of it that way. I just don't look at it like that," he said. "It's like I've said from the beginning: I just want to make the best decision that I can. I want to make the right decision and do the right thing. And if it were up to me, I wouldn't even think about this until the year was over and I had done everything in my current contract that I have agreed to do -- because this doesn't help what we're trying to do currently."

What he's trying to do currently is win his first Sprint Cup championship. He's first in the point standings, with the Cup drivers taking this week off before heading to Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Brickyard 400 one week from this Sunday.

Indianapolis has long been a place where Cup teams make huge announcements. But Edwards said he has no deadline -- Indy or otherwise -- to sign the contract that likely will determine his place of employment for at least the next four or five years.

"I don't have a deadline. I'll get it done as soon as I can," he said.

Edwards also said he isn't concerned about his situation being a distraction if it isn't resolved once the Chase for the Sprint Cup begins.

"Yes, I've said it's a distraction," Edwards said. "But we are leading the points. Maybe it's helping, I don't know. It is what it is. I'm telling you, man, I've got no news."
    Randy
    United States Air Force, Retired
    ranbethscards.com

Freedom Is Not Free

From the time of discovery and for the
    balance of life, an individual diagnosed
    with cancer IS a Survivor!

Thank You GOD...I am a Survivor!
Working...
X