Favorite Wrestling Storylines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Wrestling Storylines

What are some of your favorite wrestling storylines and why? Nowadays the storylines arent as well written as it once was in the mid 80s and 90s. Back then, storylines were drawn out for 3-4 months and the match would take place at a PPV (which was only 4 a year back in the day). All current storylines feel recycled and have a deja vu feeling when you watch it.

My Favorite Wrestling Storylines

Stone Cold Steve Austin Vs Vince McMahon - Watching Stone Cold Steve Austin beat the crap out of Vince McMahon every week turned the tide in the Monday Night Wars. This nearly 2 year long feud was the best storyline I ever followed in the fourteen years of watching wrestling. Every week you would tune in to see how Steve Austin would get one up over Vinny Mac. Adding the stooges in Brisco, Patterson, and Slaughter made this storyline even better and funnier. In my opinion, the highlight of this storyline is a tie between the Cage Match at St. Valentines Day Massacre where the Big Show made his WWF debut and watching Stone Cold hit Vince McMahon with a bed pan while in the hospital. This storyline ended at Wrestlemania 17 where Stone Cold sided with Vince McMahon to defeat The Rock.

Undertaker Vs Kane - Paul Bearer betrayed The Undertaker to side with Mankind at Summerslam 1996. Over the next year, Paul Bearer dropped hints to The Undertaker that Kane was alive and that unless he listened to him, he would reveal the truth to everyone. Kane made his debut at Badd Blood 1997, where the first ever Hell in a Cell match occured. Kane ripped the cage door open and gave his brother a chokeslam and tombstone. The Undertaker refused to fight his little brother. For the next 3 months, Kane destroyed everyone in his path and set The Undertaker on fire in his Coffin Match against Shawn Michaels at Royal Rumble 1998. The Undertaker disappeared and returned a few weeks before Wrestlemania 14 to challenge his brother. The match at Wrestlemania saw Kane take 3 tombstones before he was defeated, but then dropped The Undertaker with a tombstone on a chair. The next month at Unforgiven 1998, they faced off in the first ever Inferno match.

Sting Vs Hollywood Hogan - When the NWO storyline was the hottest thing going in wrestling, this feud was suppose to be the pinnacle of the storyline. At Fall Brawl 1996, Sting was accused of betraying WCW because of the appearance of the NWO Sting. Sting disappeared from WCW and shortly reappeared in the rafters dressing like The Crow and confronting wrestlers at random with his signature baseball bat. He would side with WCW and started attacking all NWO members during their matches. He refused to wrestle anyone other than Hollywood Hogan. At Starcade 1997, WCW found a way to mess up this great storyline by doing a screw job ending with Hogan pinning Sting before the match was restarted.

NWO Formation/Hulk Hogan Turn Heel - In 1996, this storyline took wrestling to a whole new level. I remember watching Bash at the Beach 1996 with my friends and wondered who the mystery third person would be. Back then, there were no internet dirt sheets, but I thought it was going to be Bret Hart. Since I didnt know Razor Ramon and Diesel left WWF, I thought WWF and WCW merged for this huge payoff storyline. Seeing Hulk Hogan turn into Hollywood Hogan was more of a shock to me than seeing Razor Ramon and Diesel showing up in WCW. The next few months had all ex WWF wrestlers joining the NWO. But after the NWO broke up into 2 factions, it was the beginning of the end for WCW.

WWF Vs WCW/ECW Alliance - After Vince McMahon bought WCW, I thought this storyline was going to be the biggest and best storyline ever with all the matches being saved for the next Wrestlemania. Obviously the storyline was not as good as it could have been, but it had its moments. ECW had to join the WCW guys to even the sides up. The only good thing about that was that it did bring Rob Van Dam to the WWF. Booker T and Diamond Dallas Page were the leaders of the WCW invasion, but sadly WWF never let those 2 wrestlers reach the main event level they deserved and had in WCW. Considering that WWF brought in Eric Bischoff, Hollywood Hogan, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Scott Steiner, and Bill Goldberg 6-8 months later, they should have just signed them all up before they began this storyline. Seeing Stone Cold Steve Austin betray WWF and siding with WCW never made any sense in the long run.

Mine would have to be

HBK/Chris Jericho from 2008, i was done very well, that went on for 6-8 months i think, and now a days you just dont ever see rivalries go on that long at one period, i loved when Jericho talked in his low pitched monotone voice everytime, although i could've lived without Lance Cade...

Hardys/Dudleys/Edge & Christian

This would be from there first storyline that led to the three way dance at Wrestlemania, yes the storyline wasnt in depth but was very well done with the characters involved, and the payoff match at Wrestlemania was pretty awesome

This wasnt a storyline with anyone in particular but in general, Eddie/Chavo Guerrero against everone, man was that funny, those were great times and defintly the pinnacle of Chavos WWE tenure

Comment

Dan - I remember the HBK/Y2J feud from 2003 where they had a 5 star match at Wrestlemania 19, which was one of my favorite matches of all time. I dont remember everything about their feud from last year, other than Y2J making HBK suffer an eye injury.

Comment

Hogan/Macho Man is # 1 by far- NO ONE saw that heel turn coming, Im sure

Comment

Hogan and The ulitmate Warrior is #1 and then Hogan and the undertaker

Comment

Stone Cold vs McMahon was definitely mine. we were at Wrestlemania 17 and the end to that match was a bit confusing for those of us in the back. It was a decent match but thought it ended with more of a dud than a bang.

Comment

Working...
            X