Matt Holliday Staying w/ Cardinals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gladdyontherise View Post
    Holliday turns 30 before the season starts, as does Pujols...
    okay that is when players reach their prime.... 38 is old, not 30

Like i mentioned above guys, i will listen to what a guy like Buster Olney says, you dont have to just my opinion and his i guess, that it really complicates having money to get Pujols

Cardinals have the money to sign Pujols.... Money isn't an option, trust me. Buster Onley isn't right about everything, obviously he's going to weigh the pros and cons. Just cause he says it, doesn't mean it's going to happen.
    Bucket l Los Angeles Inspiration l Tradelist
    Collecting GU/Patches/Autos:
    Dodgers, UCLA, Mexico, Adrian Gonzalez, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant,
    Joe Johnson, Toney Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by JesRey View Post
      okay that is when players reach their prime.... 38 is old, not 30

Cardinals have the money to sign Pujols.... Money isn't an option, trust me. Buster Onley isn't right about everything, obviously he's going to weigh the pros and cons. Just cause he says it, doesn't mean it's going to happen.
      I know 38 isnt 30, but he got far to many years i think do you honestly think he'll produce at a high level at 37? if so then good deal, if not of course bad deal

and i know Olney isnt "god" but i do take his opinion as a legit one, and considering i said the things he did (i heard them this morning) i think there is some substance to what he is saying...Cardinals aren't "made of money" they are already paying Carpenter alot, and now Holliday, and soon Pujols, there going to need money for plenty other players aside from those 3, which is what i'd worry about...

My main point is, like the Dodgers, Scott Boras got them to bid against themselves, they could've said no, and Holliday would've had no team and told Boras to cave in, they could've had him for 90 million but didnt, we'll have to see over the next 7 years how good that contract was

Comment

I know 38 isnt 30, but he got far to many years i think do you honestly think he'll produce at a high level at 37? if so then good deal, if not of course bad deal

and i know Olney isnt "god" but i do take his opinion as a legit one, and considering i said the things he did (i heard them this morning) i think there is some substance to what he is saying...Cardinals aren't "made of money" they are already paying Carpenter alot, and now Holliday, and soon Pujols, there going to need money for plenty other players aside from those 3, which is what i'd worry about...

My main point is, like the Dodgers, Scott Boras got them to bid against themselves, they could've said no, and Holliday would've had no team and told Boras to cave in, they could've had him for 90 million but didnt, we'll have to see over the next 7 years how good that contract was
        Why are you worried about what he's going to do when he's 37 years old?

They want to win now, it's worth it for the first 5 years at least. They can always trade him to the Yankees when he's got 1 or 2 years left. They aren't worried about 7 years from now lol

Comment

Why are you worried about what he's going to do when he's 37 years old?

They want to win now, it's worth it for the first 5 years at least. They can always trade him to the Yankees when he's got 1 or 2 years left. They aren't worried about 7 years from now lol
          i'm not but its just a terrible contract and an overpaid one in my opinion. i'm just saying if i were a Cardinals fan, i'd be peeved, they outbid themselves how is that a good thing? lol

Comment

You don't understand how it works. He wants the money and if they don't give him what he wants. He can just go to another team for the same price they were offering him, just to stick it to the Cardinals.

Cardinals couldn't lose him. He's a huge bat in that lineup, and you dont want him going to other contenders, that doesn't help your team

Comment

You don't understand how it works. He wants the money and if they don't give him what he wants. He can just go to another team for the same price they were offering him, just to stick it to the Cardinals.

Cardinals couldn't lose him. He's a huge bat in that lineup, and you dont want him going to other contenders, that doesn't help your team
              He wasn't going to LA, Chicago, San Fran, Philly, NY, Flordia or Atlanta so i dont know why they'd worry. I get he wants money but if St. Louis is only offering 90 and the next highest is 82.5 (and with John Lackey/Mike Cameron now, that offer was most likely off the table) then next highest is 70, where is he going to? Baltimore to "stick it" or St. Louis who is far better than Baltimore?

Same thing with Manny, no one wanted him, but the Dodgers gave in, personally i would've let him sit, because i guarntee he would've caved in

Comment

Your still losing a guy that will hit 30 HRs 100 RBIs.....

Losing him to the AL East just hurts their chances at the World Series. Just makes those teams better. (Yankees/Redsox) Plus the Cardinals wouldn't be that great in the playoffs. No Derosa and no Holliday = no chance in the playoffs

Comment

Your still losing a guy that will hit 30 HRs 100 RBIs.....

Losing him to the AL East just hurts their chances at the World Series. Just makes those teams better. (Yankees/Redsox) Plus the Cardinals wouldn't be that great in the playoffs. No Derosa and no Holliday = no chance in the playoffs
                  thats my point, he wasnt leaving, tell me any player thats not a hometown kid of that team/state that will take $20 million less to go there where the team is bad versus staying with your team, making $20 million more and is on a contending team, if you can find me a player, i'll shut up

Comment

thats my point, he wasnt leaving, tell me any player thats not a hometown kid of that team/state that will take $20 million less to go there where the team is bad versus staying with your team, making $20 million more and is on a contending team, if you can find me a player, i'll shut up
                    Jason Marquis.... went to the Nationals. Could of got a lot more from the Rockies

Thanks

Comment

Do you have the numbers of what the Rockies offered compared to what the Nationals offered?

Comment

Do you have the numbers of what the Rockies offered compared to what the Nationals offered?
                        Nope, but he went from contenders to the worst team in baseball.....

Comment

Nope, but he went from contenders to the worst team in baseball.....
                          Well I was asking you to find someone who took less money to go to a worse team than taking more money to go to a better team. i'm sure he went to Washington because he got more money

Comment

Well I was asking you to find someone who took less money to go to a worse team than taking more money to go to a better team. i'm sure he went to Washington because he got more money
                            He's only making 7.5 million a year for 2 years w/ the Nationals....

This was his salary last year --> 2009: $9,875,000

I'm right your wrong thanks

Comment

He's only making 7.5 million a year for 2 years w/ the Nationals....

This was his salary last year --> 2009: $9,875,000

I'm right your wrong thanks
                              Thats not my point like i've been saying the whole time, no player at the end of a contract goes somewhere for less money if they can get more from a contending team, what did the Rockies (if anything) offer him in the offseason compared to the Nationals, i doubt they offered him $10 million.

And his 09 salary stems from the Chicago Cubs who in 2007 gave him a 3 year 21 million deal, Rockies never offered him a contract.

And the Rockies only offered arbitration for a non guarnteed deal which Marquis declined

But this is now completely off topic of this thread, pm me if you need more info

Comment

Thats not my point like i've been saying the whole time, no player at the end of a contract goes somewhere for less money if they can get more from a contending team, what did the Rockies (if anything) offer him in the offseason compared to the Nationals, i doubt they offered him $10 million.

And his 09 salary stems from the Chicago Cubs who in 2007 gave him a 3 year 21 million deal, Rockies never offered him a contract.

And the Rockies only offered arbitration for a non guarnteed deal which Marquis declined

But this is now completely off topic of this thread, pm me if you need more info
                                haha your telling me the Rockies offered their best pitcher last year, less money....... go back to football. He would have got more money from arbitration

Comment

Working...
                                X