Dan Gilbert E-mails David Stern Regarding Chris Paul Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Gilbert E-mails David Stern Regarding Chris Paul Trade

Chris Paul and Lamar Odom are both very upset. It sounds like neither of them will be reporting to camp tomorrow. The NBA killed the deal because of basketball reasons but there are speculations that most of the owners were upset with this deal.

I don't see why everyone is saying this is a lop-sided deal. The Lakers are giving up Lamar Odom and Pau Gasol. That's 2/3 of their big men and leave them with a couple holes to fill.

This is the e-mail than Dan Gilbert sent to David Stern regarding the proposed deal that would send Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers. He's probably still mad that Lebron left him and his Cavaliers team won't be winning anything anytime soon. I wish he would have used Comic Sans.

Commissioner,
    It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.
    This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.
    Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.
    I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).
    I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.
    I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.
    When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?
    Please advise….
    Dan G.

Become a fan of Los Angeles Inspiration on Facebook
    Follow us on Twitter @LA_Inspiration

More...
    Bucket l Los Angeles Inspiration l Tradelist
    Collecting GU/Patches/Autos:
    Dodgers, UCLA, Mexico, Adrian Gonzalez, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant,
    Joe Johnson, Toney Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Ryan

Dan Gilbert should worry more about his team instead of others.

This whole ugly incident will make the NBA look bad since Chris Paul is going to take legal action against them. Fine, if Gilbert is so worried about the Lakers saving so much money and getting a trade exception, make them take Emeka Okafor back too then. That way they take on more salary.

I actually see this turning out so bad that the league lets the trade go through on the condition Lakers take Okafor too. It makes sense to me.

Comment

Well he is right.

All the owners right now do own the Hornets.

Comment

the problem is that if paul leaves as a fa then the hornets get nothing. this way they a tough team still with the flipping of gasol to houston.
        http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Originally posted by gladdyontherise View Post
          Well he is right.

All the owners right now do own the Hornets.
          No where in the e-mail does he mention the Hornets, it's all about stopping the Lakers.

The trade was great for all 3 teams and the Lakers would have had a big hole to fill with losing 2 big men, but obviously you still don't understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by JesRey View Post
            No where in the e-mail does he mention the Hornets, it's all about stopping the Lakers.

The trade was great for all 3 teams and the Lakers would have had a big hole to fill with losing 2 big men, but obviously you still don't understand that.
            Disagree 100%. It's about making sure small market teams can actually survive in this 'new' NBA....which Gilbert's right about, they can't with these superteams. You might as well just cut the league down to 5 teams, because no one else has even a slight chance at ever winning it all.

Besides, why would Gilbert wanna stop the Lakers? All he cares about is making sure that a certain guy in Miami never wins a ring.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
            Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
            Johnson/Mears/
            Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Originally posted by jsab4807 View Post
              Disagree 100%. It's about making sure small market teams can actually survive in this 'new' NBA....which Gilbert's right about, they can't with these superteams. You might as well just cut the league down to 5 teams, because no one else has even a slight chance at ever winning it all.

Besides, why would Gilbert wanna stop the Lakers? All he cares about is making sure that a certain guy in Miami never wins a ring.
              The Lakers are giving up 2 pieces they really need for a PG. The trade hurts the Lakers with their depth. They have a better chance of winning with the current team they have, so I wouldn't call them a super team if they had Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant, especially with Kobe aging.

Well Gilbert said the Cavs were going to win a championship before Lebron, so he doesn't want the Lakers to have a better team then the Cavs.

Comment

The Lakers are giving up 2 pieces they really need for a PG. The trade hurts the Lakers with their depth. They have a better chance of winning with the current team they have, so I wouldn't call them a super team if they had Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant, especially with Kobe aging.

Well Gilbert said the Cavs were going to win a championship before Lebron, so he doesn't want the Lakers to have a better team then the Cavs.
                That trade was set up perfectly to make sure the Lakers could get Howard after getting Paul. AKA, ruining the small market clubs.

Comment

if he wants the small market teams to survive then the trade shoud have ent throough. because now paul will sign with a big market team and the hornets will get nothing in return. thus the arguement about helping small market teams is a mute point.
                  http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

That trade was set up perfectly to make sure the Lakers could get Howard after getting Paul. AKA, ruining the small market clubs.
                    How? They have nothing to offer for Dwight... Bynum isn't enough for Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by tndcollectables View Post
                      if he wants the small market teams to survive then the trade shoud have ent throough. because now paul will sign with a big market team and the hornets will get nothing in return. thus the arguement about helping small market teams is a mute point.
                      You're missing the point. These superstars are now holding their current teams hostage at this point. THAT has to change. Allowing these grown men to pout around and force trades to superteams is completely killing the NBA.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
                      Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
                      Johnson/Mears/
                      Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

How? They have nothing to offer for Dwight... Bynum isn't enough for Dwight
                        Bynum + draft picks.

Comment

Bynum + draft picks.
                          That still wouldn't work.

Comment

You're missing the point. These superstars are now holding their current teams hostage at this point. THAT has to change. Allowing these grown men to pout around and force trades to superteams is completely killing the NBA.
                            at least the hornet gets something. Plus a 1st round draft choice.

So they both go to free agency and the superteams are just created next year.

This does nothing but hurt the hornets PERIOD. Stern has overstepped his bounds and the public lashing he is taking is proving it

^^^ Sig Revolves w/Every Refresh or Post^^^

Comment

Can't even read the opinions of a Lakers fan as they are biased. The deal was uneven all throughout. Lakers dumped 2 garbage overrated overpaid players in Gasol and Odom while getting back a superstar PG. Rockets have to take on Gasol and his overpaid contract and get him only. NO doesn't get a bad return by getting Marin and Scola but also have to take on a overpaid contract of Odom.

Comment

Working...
                              X